AutoPlay Video

aheff

Guru
100+ Post Club
I see one or two Medicare Websites that have very nice autoplay videos on the landing page. They last for less than 1 minute. What are your thoughts about having an autoplay video? Major distraction to seniors looking for Medicare, or is it a positive? Thanks.

I don't like them for three reasons:

-I feel assaulted when I visit a website and it automatically starts talking to me.
-Especially with seniors that may have older computers that were donated to them or that they've simply had for a time, it may cause an additional drain on system resources so I don't want my website to be the one that crashes their computer.
-On the other end of the spectrum, folks are browsing the internet with their phone more and more these days and they're also not necessarily equipped to handle the additional strain.

Surely it works for some folks and that's why they're doing it, but those are a few of my reservations.

Most annoying thing in the world, if I want to watch it, I will. Dont force me to. This will make me leave the website immediately

If you autoplay, make sure its automuted.
Nothing makes me close a website faster than sudden sound coming from my computer especially if I'm on the phone or the grandkids are sleeping, or any number of other things.

Dan

Major distraction to seniors looking for Medicare, or is it a positive? Thanks.

Do you want people hitting the back-button or closing the browser window as fast as they possibly can as soon as your video loads? If not, DON'T DO AUTOPLAY!

For some reason, the insurance industry loves putting autoplay videos on websites (or worse, the annoying walk-on videos thanking you for visiting their "virtual office") just as much as the rest of the world hates them.

I'm convinced-No autoplay.
One thing that all of your responses had in common-except Aaron's. All of you stated that YOU (YOU are tech savy, younger, in a hurry, etc) don't like them. None of the responses stated how a 65 year old might respond to an autoplay, which could very well be dramatically different how you would respond.

None of the responses stated how a 65 year old might respond to an autoplay, which could very well be dramatically different how you would respond.

old_people_jpg.jpg

It depends on the landing page. If it's a simple squeeze page than yes. If it's a home page with lots of content and links then it would be a bit of distraction. Just figure out what the goal of your video is designed to do.

Back