Bankruptcy and 7 Y/o Misdemeanor Question

ddubb

I am looking for some information to help me prepare for the possible outcomes in proceeding with P&C and Life licensing and accepting a position with SF.

I have interviewed with a new agent that is is in the final stage of selecting their team to go into the paid training and licensing program. I have been selected as a member of that team and am now going through the process of going into a W2 position with SF which requires background and credit checks.

I have 2 issues that will show up and hope that I can get both SF and the DOI to allow me to proceed and be employed and get my licenses.

I have a <1 y/o Ch. 7 BK and a 7 y/o misdemeanor vandalism conviction that was dismissed with restitution paid and probation completed (stupid drunken mess).

Can anyone please offer some insight on whether this is a deal breaker to work for SF as a team member and get my insurance licenses?

I appreciate all the info you can provide. Thank you.

I don't think the misdemeanor question is an issue but I think the BR is deal breaker.

Since these things are going to come out anyway, you should have disclosed this as soon as it looked like they had any interest in you. If this doesn't pan out, you be the one to bring it up with your next hiring opportunity.

Since these things are going to come out anyway, you should have disclosed this as soon as it looked like they had any interest in you. If this doesn't pan out, you be the one to bring it up with your next hiring opportunity.

That's exactly why I'm asking the questions. I will be bringing these issues up when we meet next week to work out the details of the job and time line. I was just looking for some encouraging info to keep my spirits high since I am excited about the opportunity.

If there is absolutely no way around the BK then I understand and it wasn't meant to be at this time. If SF is willing to give me a chance, I can guarantee they will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your responses so far.

I have no idea what State Farm rules are, but in general, the BK would keep you from being appointed directly in many P&C companies.

As far as I know, the State DOI does not care for you getting a license. You might have to say you had the BK, but, it's not a license stopper. You probably will not be eligible for a securities license though, not sure if this matters.

Now, being appointed is different from being a team member. All you can do is ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Dan

Thanks Dan, good info.

Regarding the misdemeanor, I found all the info I need on the CDI website in the background review FAQ section.

Fingers crossed...

Good informative forum, thank you for your responses.

The poster state he was going to be a team member working under an agent....I don't think the BK if disclosed would be such a big deal...His financial situation shouldn't be that big a deal.

Actually, most P&C carriers have gotten a bit overboard lately, and appointed staff have to be credit checked. Many will turn down a recent BK, and not appoint them.

Some don't care, some do. After all, the agent is responsible. But I'm willing to bet State Farm (Farmers, Allstate, etc) all will pull a credit check on anyone who needs any sort of writing number / producer code.

This won't stop being a team member, just may limit some aspects of the job.

Dan

I hope for your sake that your experience is/was different from mine.

I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial. I got my life back together, volunteered in groups to help others, got married and had a boy. Studied and passed the Life Agent exam. Fully disclosed the misdemeanors.

The California Dept. of Insurance flipped out over the misdemeanors, sent my application through the CDI Legal Department, delayed my app for a year. Finally I withdrew the application.

That was in 2004; I waited and in 2011 I re-studied, re-passed the exam, and the exact same thing happened again. I just withdrew my app on February 4.

CDI looks over the four corners of the Earth for arrests etc. but does zero due diligence for any other factors. They had (and have) no idea of my other activities and apparently don't care.

One irony is that I have been working for three years for a leading professional investigative firm, and I think I have an idea of what a thorough investigation is like.

Back