• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

BC says I can't be appointed for a year....

Survivor

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I was checking on how to become appointed with the different big names. The BC of Ga website says that an agent must have held his or her license for one year before he or she can become appointed to sell BC.

So, if I were to go work for an agency, could I go sell BC products even if I hadn't hit that one year mark?

I don't know about Georgia, but back in the day, I just asked the regional sales manager for Blue Cross and he told me not to worry about the 2 year requirement in California. I got appointed directly when I was licensed about 6 months.

If your working for another agent, who is appointed, there shouldn't be any problem at all, since you are a producer for the agent, not Blue Cross. The agent takes the fall if you make the mistake.

Check with the agent you'll be working with, or Blue Cross directly (specifically, the regional manager for your area). I believe they can waive this requirement when the wind blows from the west.

Dan

BX will not waive anything. They are very broker unfriendly since Anthem-Wellpoint moved in.

They are looking to cut the majority of the brokers by imposing production requirements.

Which brokerage shop are you working with?

Last edited:
Ouch, sounds harsh in Georgia. I know the RSM here will still appoint new people, under 2 years (licensed - good enough). Now, I'm not saying Blue is broker friendly, just policy hungry.

Dan

You don't need BCBS in Georgia. It's not better than anything else and it only pays 10% as earned. That's right 10%....

United HealthCare, Assurant, Aetna and Humana are all there and pay better.

You don't need BCBS in Georgia. It's not better than anything else and it only pays 10% as earned. That's right 10%....

United HealthCare, Assurant, Aetna and Humana are all there and pay better.

what are the renewals.....

Has nothing to do with the commission. BX isn't competitive except on Tonik for under age 30. Beyond that they are not a factor in the market.

If you market outside of Atlanta, and need maternity, you can sometimes find a reason to use them.

Blue pays 10% level, first and renewal. Makes a nice annuity if you have enough business on the books. Beats the heck out of 4% renewals.

Of course if you only keep clients for a year then I can see how a 10% commission would not be exciting . . .

If you are going in under a broker, chances are he/she is taking a cut of the agent commission and writing the policies on his number. That means you probably get 8% . . . when he decides to pay you . . . if he decides to pay you.

If you bail guess who keeps that Blue business?

And if your flipping your client every year you are screwing your client because the longer you stay on a plan the easier the claims get paid....soooo with a new prex every year as well as what if the big one happens then they are stuck with that plan....and if it is a plan the hikes rates after 2 years to drive clients off then you did not really do your client any good.....

Of course if you only keep clients for a year then I can see how a 10% commission would not be exciting . . .

I do a lot of business with Anthem Blue Cross in Connecticut. I do like their policies, but you have to write 100 policies per year in order to get a decent commission.

This is the first I've heard of a one-year rule. I just got my son appointed with them. He was just licensed in the spring. Either it doesn't apply in Connecticut or they looked at the agency's licensing date and not his.

#1 is right. Here, in Georgia, the Evil Empire is very agent unfriendly. The only time I write BCBSGA is when someone demands them over another PHCS provider.

Fortunately for the agent in the metro Atlanta area, the agent-friendly folks from BCBS went to Coventry, and their product is far more superior.

BCBS does have a very good Med Supp plan, and that is what I sell most of. Every now and then, I sell a Blue Value 3000, but that's it.

Their commissions people are rude, and they return your call when they darn well feel like it.

Back