Become an Allstate Agent or State Farm Agent.

I've never been a fan of VULs, especially those from Farmers. To be honest, you seem to be thinking that Farmers is different than State Farm or Allstate. They're really not: you're just as beholden to your DM at Farmers as you are at SF or Allstate; they're different sides of the same coin. I started with, as my friends have come to call it, "The F Word" in early 2013. I quickly saw how they churned through agents and turned over what the newbies wrote to seasoned agents. I saw how they treated clients. I saw how they subtly encourage agents to undercut other agents and companies. I saw how, in lieu of being honest, I was told to build a better "value proposition" for equal coverages when F-Word was 3x the price. I left Farmers in early 2014 and immediately restructured my sales process. Instead of conflating the value of a brand, I can talk about the value of flexibility and build a program around a client's needs. One more thing: I got to see Farmers shut down their agent forums when agents were complaining about how the company treated them.

Clearly, you don't understand the VUL market if you're not a fan of the FFS flavor. And, you must have a very different culture in your state than here in TX. My DM is consistently in the top 10 DMs in the whole company, and my district had 2 "Agent of the year" agencies for the whole company in 2014. Also, you're sadly mistaken if you think Farmers is just like SF and Allstate. Of the three, we're the only carrier who is truly accessible to the scratch startup agent without significant capital to invest immediately. That's something no independent can say either. Why don't you stop compensating for your failed Farmers experience and inferiority complex and just admit that there's more than one way to be successful. No need to tear down the 3rd largest carrier just because you failed with it.

Clearly, you don't understand the VUL market if you're not a fan of the FFS flavor. And, you must have a very different culture in your state than here in TX. My DM is consistently in the top 10 DMs in the whole company, and my district had 2 "Agent of the year" agencies for the whole company in 2014. Also, you're sadly mistaken if you think Farmers is just like SF and Allstate. Of the three, we're the only carrier who is truly accessible to the scratch startup agent without significant capital to invest immediately. That's something no independent can say either. Why don't you stop compensating for your failed Farmers experience and inferiority complex and just admit that there's more than one way to be successful. No need to tear down the 3rd largest carrier just because you failed with it.

What happens when a couple losses come and farmers decides they don't want to keep or write business where your at? Where are you going to move your policies?

My DM was also one of the top DMs. That doesn't mean anything.

The FFS flavor is strong for retention, but not for filling client needs. I can pretty much guarantee that if I have a FFS representative (I can't seriously read that as "Farmers Financial Services" instead of "For F***s Sake") on the other end of a replacement meeting, I'll win. Hands down.

You're right that Farmers is different than the others. State Farm and Allstate are honest: their companies let you know right out the gate that your money and credit are on the line. Farmers tells you that you'll make it if you put in the hours and the effort; not letting you in on the truth that your time, energy, and reputation are what they hold in debt against you.

There are many ways to be successful. I know many Farmers, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Country Financial, and independent agents that are successful. I also know that Farmers has an amazingly high attrition rate with their senior agents. I also know many local restoration companies won't contract with Farmers because they have a nasty habit of trying to undercut prices at the detriment of the client. I know of three agents that are making their exit plans; one of them leaving today (3/31).

Farmers home rates in AZ are 2-3 times higher than most other companies, unless the homes were built in the mid-90s or later. I failed at Farmers because I told my prospects that it wasn't a financially responsible decision to pay $1,800 instead of $600 for the exact same coverages with a company that had worse claims satisfaction ratings. I was proud to fail. I failed up.

I was class president in my University of Farmers class. I made not only the instructor cry, but half the class, by role playing the emotional sell. I did it without smoke, mirrors, and lies, but with honesty and genuine questions.

I've built my brand on honesty, integrity, and respect. When my clients see the bow tie, they know that I have their best interests at heart. There's no compensation or disgrace in my mind or heart. My friends know this, my clients know this, my network knows this, and my wife knows this. The second someone calls me, they know it.

Farmers was a great training platform for me, nothing more. If they're something more for you, excellent. Just know that until you explore, you're getting only 1/16th of the story, at best.

Back