Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

I often find P&C ads in the Craigslist ... that are independent brokers, looking for new agents ... they will train you. My friend went with one of these brokers and he said that it was a good deal. He learned all about the business and he wasn't tied to any one company. He said it was easy to steal State Farm and Farmers and Gieco (etc) customers cuz he could offer much lower prices, for the same coverage (or better).

You've graciously given advice and a road map to get started in health care insurance sales, what would your roadmap be for getting started in supplemental medicare sales? I'm assuming there maybe differences. Thank you.

You've graciously given advice and a road map to get started in health care insurance sales, what would your roadmap be for getting started in supplemental medicare sales? I'm assuming there maybe differences. Thank you.

Who are you talking to?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From what I see, you be good to through robliano or frank statsny ... i know they are both in medicare supplements and they both give good information on this forum ... hope that helps.

Last edited:
i want to start becoming an independent insurance agent. Thanks for the tips. I tried using Craigslist and I have to start Google searching too.

There are many good ideas but at the end of the day all that really matters is what you did with it. My advice for any new agent would be to put yourself in the position of the person that you are marketing to. Since you can't teach someone to have character let your trials and successes be your classroom. Let your actions and reactions be your tests. Many companies are good and many products are good. Pick your pony and work with blinders on every day. Don't stop to count your commissions until your work day is done. Count your blessings before you count your money and if you can't make a sale, it's best to make a friend. Find a Marketing partner that offers more than lip service and treat that relationship like gold. Be loyal to the people that help you succeed and those people will reward you more and more. Year one is tough and two starts to be better if you are working daily. Don't contract with every company as you will only make your bag heavy and it adds confusion to you and your prospect to have too many choices. Sell by listening more than talking. To many "know it alls" are willing to display thier assumed knowledge before even knowing what that prospect is looking for or needing. Don't be a fool with a loose tounge but instead use the wisdom and knowledge that comes with a trained ear. Work daily and forget the busy paper shuffling. Always have appointments to see. If you do not then the day you do not, you are literally unemployed.

Hello Health Agent,

I really like what you prepared for Health Agents. Do you also write life? It clearly looks like you have some experience.

What do you think the major differences are for a new person in the insurance business to consider focusing on Life or Health?

Thanks,
James

Back