Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

Crab, I've been in the business for some time now and find your thread both insightful and generous with information. Thanks!

Frank was speaking of signing a contract where you assign your commissions. Those commissions are not yours they belong to your upline for them to then pay you. I have never heard of a good ending to something like that...Just think what company wants the added headache of paying commissions when the carriers have thier own departments for that specific task.

Sir,

Is NAA an up line company ?

Thanks
Don

Need health and life insurance appointments.

Hello, right now i'm too busy with my 2-20 license and plan later to expand to life and health when i find more people that specialize in that area willing to work with me.
For right now i would like to keep my 02-15 license active.
So far i'm looking at humana that does health but i would prefer a company that does both life and health insurance and is easy to get and stayed appointed with.

Any agents out there that can help me out i'll be in your debt!

First, I would like to say that, as a new agent, the advice shared on this forum is awesome! I am an independent life and health agent. I work under a GA. I would really appreciate some advice on a couple of things. First, I would like to have some thoughts on whether or not I should be making phone calls to generate business for myself? My GA said that he doesn't really want me making calls, but I am only given a few leads here and there. There is no way I am going to make a living like that. I am not opposed to purchasing my own prospect list and making those calls. I am not understanding why he would discourage that??? Also, I was going to get appointed with another carrier that I thought would benefit me, but since he is not appointed with that particular carrier, he asked me not to. I mean, I understand that if I am appointed and he is not that he will not make a commission, but if he wanted to make the commission he could get appointed as well.I kinda feel like he wants to "chain me up and not feed me"
Thoughts, anyone???

Run away even in my short term I can tell you that is not a good deal. I make 60 plus calls a day 3 days a week and money is tight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

First, I would like to say that, as a new agent, the advice shared on this forum is awesome! I am an independent life and health agent. I work under a GA. I would really appreciate some advice on a couple of things. First, I would like to have some thoughts on whether or not I should be making phone calls to generate business for myself? My GA said that he doesn't really want me making calls, but I am only given a few leads here and there. There is no way I am going to make a living like that. I am not opposed to purchasing my own prospect list and making those calls. I am not understanding why he would discourage that??? Also, I was going to get appointed with another carrier that I thought would benefit me, but since he is not appointed with that particular carrier, he asked me not to. I mean, I understand that if I am appointed and he is not that he will not make a commission, but if he wanted to make the commission he could get appointed as well.I kinda feel like he wants to "chain me up and not feed me"
Thoughts, anyone???

What are you focusing on? Under 65 health? Life? Etc.? What companies and state are you licensed?
Based on your post, I'm not sure why any GA would ever say not to call...usually they have to force agents to call.
Regardless, the toughest lesson to learn in this business is that you're always independent...meaning you're in charge and all marketing comes down to what you want to spend.
This is true with captive agents with "free" leads....those leads cost agents commissions (somebody has to pay for those leads...and it sure won't be your upline), and they cost you because no captive company has the best product for everyone...so you lose sales or get chargebacks.
I'd say start independent so you're in control and not some *** manager that recruited you. (sorry...based on your email it doesn't sound like they are that smart)
The only real benefit that you need to seek out is someone that can train you...both in product knowledge and marketing.
Sounds like you're on the right path because you're asking the right questions.
Best of luck!

What are you focusing on? Under 65 health? Life? Etc.? What companies and state are you licensed? Based on your post, I'm not sure why any GA would ever say not to call...usually they have to force agents to call. Regardless, the toughest lesson to learn in this business is that you're always independent...meaning you're in charge and all marketing comes down to what you want to spend. This is true with captive agents with "free" leads....those leads cost agents commissions (somebody has to pay for those leads...and it sure won't be your upline), and they cost you because no captive company has the best product for everyone...so you lose sales or get chargebacks. I'd say start independent so you're in control and not some *** manager that recruited you. (sorry...based on your email it doesn't sound like they are that smart) The only real benefit that you need to seek out is someone that can train you...both in product knowledge and marketing. Sounds like you're on the right path because you're asking the right questions. Best of luck!

My focus is the senior market, in Georgia primarily. I felt that I should be proactive in building my book of business, but wasn't exactly sure I would not be over-stepping my boundaries by purchasing my own prospect lists and getting appointed with a company my GA was not appointed with. My GA has not been the person who has trained me. But, I do have an awesome mentor who is also a co-worker. I have been really fortunate in that respect. I have felt like a captive agent, though, with the restrictions.
Thanks for the advice!

Back