Becoming an Independent Insurance Agent

Re: Becoming a health insurance agent

I am having trouble introducing myself whether on the phone or in person due not knowing exactly how to introduce myself. Anybody have any suggestions for a new agent trying to introduce himself trying to sell group health over the phone?

Well....Hmm...Ok. Here are some tips:

Don't say "well" or "hmmm".

You have about seven seconds so make sure you get in a key phrase (early), such as "save you money", "lower your rates", "new group plans available"... Also, make sure they know that you are local.

Ugh...Hmm..I hope that helps.

Move to Georgia... according to Clark Howard, there is no law here that says you have to tell the truth.... so you can say things like:

Between BCBSGa and this company.... we wrote over 175,000,000 in new premium last year!

LOL

This may vary from state-to-state, but at least in CA every domestic carrier has a person who is available for agents to go on sales calls and teach them how to sell the plans. General term is RSM (Regional Sales Manager). For group, a good FMO/GA can be very helpful as they will provide that for a new agent (they will go out with you and sell the case or you can use the RSM for a single carrier sale, your choice). For IFP business, since there is no FMO/GA override, use the RSM to learn the ropes.

All of the webinar information for CA agents is already available directly fro the carriers both online and monthly meetings that each carrier holds locally.

The IHIA may be of value as well. However, I would not use that in lieu of local support that is available for free.

All you have to do is call them and tell them you need them to come out on appointments with you and teach you how to sell their product. That's what they get paid to do and the more you sell, the better they get paid (and no, it's not from you commissions).

Wow--I did not know this! Interesting. What a great--free resource!

hello everyone i am a new member

Back