Best software for running payroll

4independence

Looking for feedback on what software to utilize for running my own agency payroll. Only a couple employees. Also, degree of difficulty in doing yourself in lieu of paying a professional? Is it very time-consuming and worth paying a professional? Thank you for feedback!

I would not try to do on your own, too many things can go wrong. If you make a mistake, correcting them will take valuable time. ADP and paychex are pretty expensive in my opinion, look for local payroll company in your area.

I use patriot software, 25 a month includes everything, I think I have a referal bonus too if you message me your email, I can send it over.

Don't do it on your own. It costs very little to have a third-party professional do it for you. But it costs a whole lot more if you make mistakes, especially on-going mistakes.

Paylocity is an excellent payroll provider. Their platform and process competes with ADP and paychex.

Paylocity is also insurance agent friendly for anyone who has clients that asks them about Payroll Services.

Intuit/QuickBooks also has an easy-to-use and low-cost payroll service that integrates with QuickBooks. I think it starts out around $15 per month.

If you do choose to do you own payroll, keep in mind that you won't have that outside bookkeeper telling you when (and how much) your payroll taxes are due. You'll need to figure out the appropriate payment schedules and due dates for your (Federal and State) withholding taxes and unemployment taxes. You will also need to decide about your W2's-if you want to do those as well, or farm that out. You have to get the W2's to the employees and also transmit the information to the Federal and State governments.

I would not try to do on your own, too many things can go wrong. If you make a mistake, correcting them will take valuable time.

Don't do it on your own. It costs very little to have a third-party professional do it for you. But it costs a whole lot more if you make mistakes, especially on-going mistakes.

Hmmm......
Insurance agents have Dental Insurance for their customers. Maybe they need Debit Insurance for their accounting mistakes.

you won't have that outside bookkeeper telling you when (and how much) your payroll taxes are due. You'll need to figure out the appropriate payment schedules and due dates for your (Federal and State) withholding taxes and unemployment taxes.

This is what gets most people in trouble. The payment schedules can vary depending on various factors.

Hmmm......
Insurance agents have Dental Insurance for their customers. Maybe they need Debit Insurance for their accounting mistakes.

I doubt any insurer would cover that risk! lol

I speak from client's experience, not my own.

And even using a professional is no guarantee of not having issues. An incompetent professional can cost you a lot more than the fee they charge. Miss a few quarterly payments and filings; and the fines will be in the thousands real quick.

Its not worth the time or the risk.

Hands down, Gusto. They'll even calculate, file and pay your payroll taxes automatically (you enter your filing numbers with each state). Check them out.

We also run benefits for our employees through Gusto.

Back