Beyond the Call

For the real estate referral market you will need..

1.) Carriers for monoline vacation rentals
2.) Carriers for stand alone secondary homes
3.) Carriers for vacant homes & homes undergoing renovations
4.) Carriers for mixed hab
5.) Solid monoline property carriers who don't run credit. In my experience, these carriers are very zip code specific. One may be awesome in your county & suck goat balls for the next
6.) Solid preferred package carriers anyway. Safeco & Kemper are inversley related. What Safeco hates, Kemper loves & vice versa.

These mortgage & realtor referrals will dry up instantly if you don't solve every..single..problem. When I went IA & was able to fill every single gap...they're like leeches. You'll get a ton of business, but again it's tedious and you gotta work it hard. And you MUST cross sell the auto.

I basically force people to do the auto unless it costs them more money. You can't build a book on monoline homes.

^^ What is your marketing method/actives to realtors and mortgage brokers? How do you get them to call YOU when they have a home buyer?

From a young age I dressed nice, smiled & asked for business. I had a lot of luck...because the people that I won over, ended up growing a MASSIVE mortgage business so allllll their loan officers used me.

In fact, I did that like 3x. So I would be lying if I said it wasn't a BIG part of luck that the ones I went after (and won over..) just so happened to grow into king pins in the mortgage world.

Ins1822 def got lucky. The mtg officer/ Realtor relationship is generally not made over night. They may have relationships, but get in front of as many as you can. Relationships change.... and they have to think of you. If you can be a resource that is good too. They need their deal to work. I refer out to other brokers just to get calls for the good stuff too.

I need some king pins who don't want something in return.....

The big producing mortgage guys get enough business from their realtors that they don't care about reciprocal referrals from us P&C douches. They just want the insurance handled & handled correctly. They do what we do...to realtors. They have to convince realtors to use them. Realtors use lenders who can get deals DONE. Manytimes for them...it means stretching debt ratios etc where the insurance can be a difference.

Go after BIG mortgage offices. But again....I'm a lucky guy in this regard. One of my giants sold their office to a national direct mortgage writer & I got nervous. I stalked a new lender on Facebook that I had previously worked on for YEARS and got nowhere with him.

I literally...invited myself to his mixer. I sought him out & introduced myself. I literally got made fun of by his whole office for being a stalker (which...I def stalked him...) but I took it on the chin & believe it or not...I earned their respect. When the first few referrals came in I KILLED it. Grew it from there.

REMEMBER THIS - Every mortgage guy is in business because they have their network of realtor referrals. Once you win the mortgage guy...he will start dropping your name to his realtors & the $hit just grows.

But that being said, for my local market I have like every single carrier to crush peoples skull's so it's a win win

----------

And...I did this was around 2008 when the market crashed & all that was left in the mortgage world were the solid offices. As a result, they got all the biz...and then so did I. Perfect storm

I've been hitting hard with cold calling and have mastered that well enough to have built a $1MM book just on that. However Its not enough to drive my book and income up fast enough and I would like some ideas. People talk about meeting mortgage brokers and realtors but how do you get them to remember to call you? What is your secret sauce? Do any of you place advertising as passive activities? If so where and how is that working out? I don't bother with car dealerships because It's hit or miss with that. I want clients with assets who have better potential for package polices. I visited home builders repeatedly but never got a call. Open to ideas. Thanks.

I have 2 lenders that always refer clients to me first. One is a friend and the other is a Power Core member. I show dogs with a realtor who sends everyone to me. Networking is key. Check into local BNI or Power Core groups in your area.

Back