"Black Hole" in Auto Policies

For the first part of the question, you really need to read the policy, talk to the carrier and find out. If they view it as intentional, then there will probably not be coverage. If it was unintentional, there probably is coverage for the liability portion. It is unlikely to defend him on criminal charges though, but a civil case, yes.

For the second portion, perhaps, but I don't know the details of the case and I suspect you are looking at something different, based on the questions you are asking. I've never had a claim denied due to criminal charges.

Dan

I thank all of you for your interest in this post.

My question is 2 fold.

The first question is referring to cases where the insured is charged with vehicular manslaughter or vehicular homicide. Do you know if the insured is covered in that particular situation. Will the insurance company pay for an attorney to represent the insured or is a vehicular manslaughter charge considered an exclusion?

The second part is does anyone have an insured who went through that experience?

Simple answer, he would need a CRIMINAL attorney and not a bodily injury attorney.

Better way of looking at it, though I hate to generalize in these types of questions......

Insurance companies will defend you in civil cases, up to your policy limits.

Never trust an insurance company to defend you in a criminal case, even if they are willing. Have your own representation.

Dan

Latest posts

Back