BRCA Testing

sheilab

I had foolishly thought genetic screening was except from life/disability insurance and went ahead and was tested. I have the gene. I had an interview with a carrier and had to cut it short, so was not able to finish the interview.

I believe they asked something to the effect of "in the last three years, have you ever been tested, diagnosed, or talked to a doctor about cancer?"

If that's true, I could apply again in three years, and not disclose it (because they might not ask beyond 3 years). Can anyone with any insurance knowledge explain how this works, or provide me with any helpful information? Thanks,

Sheila

I had foolishly thought genetic screening was except from life/disability insurance and went ahead and was tested. I have the gene. I had an interview with a carrier and had to cut it short, so was not able to finish the interview.

I believe they asked something to the effect of "in the last three years, have you ever been tested, diagnosed, or talked to a doctor about cancer?"

If that's true, I could apply again in three years, and not disclose it (because they might not ask beyond 3 years). Can anyone with any insurance knowledge explain how this works, or provide me with any helpful information? Thanks,

Sheila

I'm a little confused. You have what gene? I'm not aware of a question that specifically asks if you talked to a doctor about having cancer.

More importantly for what type of Cancer do you have the gene?

I don't actually have cancer. I have the cancer causing gene BRCA1/2. It's a breast cancer gene with an indication of about 70% with this gene will develop breast cancer. Progressive women are having genetics tests done early nowadays, so that they can have more aggressive screening throughout life to prevent development or treat it early. I suspect it will at some point be illegal for evel life/disability to discriminate on it, but today they can.

And yes, they did specifically ask about cancer. Have you been treated, diagnosed, or spoken with a dr about cancer. Something to that affect. I just don't recall if it was "Have you ever in your life" or "In the last 3 years, have you ever had, etc..."?

That is a weird way to phrase the question. I'd find another company.

Most just ask about diagnosis or treatment of cancer. Now, many will ask if you have had any testing, surgeries, treatment or other visits to a doctor not previously disclosed on the application. You would need to mention it in that case and it would just depend on the time frame in which they ask.

Back