BRCA1 Genetic Testing and Life Insurance?

jdeasy

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hanson, Ky
The BRCA1 is a test for genetic cancer genes. Mainly hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.

If a person tests positive they are at a 65% greater risk of developing these cancers as well as an increased risk of other cancers.

The GINA prohibits discrimination for health insurance and employment if a person tests positive. The law does not address life insurance.

Has anyone had any experience with this on a life insurance applicant? Are companies looking at this and declining or rating based on this?

BTW, GINA is the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008

Call the underwriter and ask.

I don't have a specific case. It was a question posed to me by a current client. She has her life policy with me. She is in the process of getting this testing done. They have told her that, if she tests positive for it her 38 year old daughter should be tested as well. Her main concern is for the daughter and this being in her file and how it would affect the daughter and anything she might apply for in the future.

That's assuming that they both were to test positive. I did talk to one insurance company underwriter and they acted as though they didn't know what I was talking about.

That's why I was asking other agents if they had any experience with this or run into any problems.

Back