Bumper damage in parking lot

ajaysharma

hi

i took my kid to a class and parked my car in their parking lot.

after the class, i started the car and while reversing it the front bumper got damaged

on checking, i identified that the concrete parking blocker / stopper had a huge rebar spike (screw) which got stuck in my bumper while parking the car.

while taking the reverse, bumper was stuck in the rebar spike and it caused significant damage to the bumper

the cost for replacement is $10000

question is who is responsible for the damage, is the parking lot owner for having improper rebar spike or mine for overlooking it while parking ?

thanks in advance

You "collided" with the parking block. You might be able to get the school district to reimburse you for your deductible but I doubt if they will accept the bill. $10 grand for a bumper seems way out of line, don't know where that estimate came from. Call your insurance company and place a claim on your policy. The school would need to have been placed on notice that there is an issue with the parking standard. If no one has hit it before you, I doubt that there has been any notification

thanks, had a typo
the repair estimate is $1,000 and not $10,000
they are refusing to pay anything. what are my options

Turn it over to your insurance carrier as a claim on your policy. It is a collision and your deductible comes into play. The estimate is $1000. If your deductible is between 500-1000 I might not bother with a claim

The school district will claim "Sovereign Immunity" and it would be up to you to prove that the school or school district was put on notice about the condition. In Illinois: "negligence connected to injuries caused by unsafe conditions on government property if the government did not have notice of the conditions" makes the school or school district immune to lawsuits. Curse your bad luck, pay more attention, and file a claim on your policy

Back