Business License to Sell Insurance?

Okay, this question can really only be answered by your local municipality, since every place is different. I'll give you the answer for my town, not that it really matters.

Doesn't matter if you work out of your home or not, independent agents need a business license (captives do not, don't ask me to explain).

Captives don't because its paid by the office they work out of for all the agents of that office. Doesn't seem fair to the independent.

If you work out of your home, and use this as your physical business address (PO box doesn't get you off the hook here), whether or not you see clients in the home office, you need a home occupation permit. Its a one time fee, but its just a way to get money from you.

I have to pay every year for my business permit. If you work out of home, its still paid every year. Maybe its different for each city.

If you live on the other side of the "Welcome to My Town" sign, you don't need to do anything, state license is sufficient.

Depends on each city laws, IMO.

Just asnother money grab by the local municipality. If you do not have an office there and aare low profile it will probably not come up.

I live outside the city, and the laws do state that solicitors whose home office is outside and do business inside have to report their yearly income to the city. Since I live outside the city though, they really have no means of enforcing this ordinance unless they catch me in the act of doorknocking inside the city and slap me with a fine while I'm inside city limits.

I am having the same issue.

I am an individual producer representing insurance companies as a independent contractor.

Do I need business license in each city i have appointments in? I keep getting different answers from different people, my city, other agents, my upline...

I travel and don’t have clients meet at my home (where i work out of). I operate out of our apartment but it’s not a meeting place for client or the public.

"The City of Santa Fe licenses businesses located within the City limits or doing business in the City.** The City issues several types of business licenses...*A home based business license is issued to businesses who are conducting business from their residence.* Acquiring a business license for a home based business is also a two-step process. The first step requires obtaining a certificate of occupancy (CO) and the second step in the process is to register your business.”

another sites says: "If I have a business license, do I need other permits or licenses from the city?
Talk to the city when you get your business license and explain what kind of business you are running and where you are located. There are a number of other permits that might be required, based on your type of business and location, and every city is different. Here's a list of other licenses and permits your business may be required to get...Every town, city, and county has special kinds of licenses to do business in their domain. Special events usually require a permit, as do certain types of items sold (liquor licenses, for example). Check with your local business office to see what types of licenses or permits might be required."

Also, do i need to pay state sales tax? Need a Business Tax Identification Number?

----------

Okay, this question can really only be answered by your local municipality, since every place is different. I'll give you the answer for my town, not that it really matters.

Doesn't matter if you work out of your home or not, independent agents need a business license (captives do not, don't ask me to explain).

Captives don't because its paid by the office they work out of for all the agents of that office. Doesn't seem fair to the independent.

If you work out of your home, and use this as your physical business address (PO box doesn't get you off the hook here), whether or not you see clients in the home office, you need a home occupation permit. Its a one time fee, but its just a way to get money from you.

I have to pay every year for my business permit. If you work out of home, its still paid every year. Maybe its different for each city.

If you live on the other side of the "Welcome to My Town" sign, you don't need to do anything, state license is sufficient.

Depends on each city laws, IMO.
so does this mean that you need a business license with every city and county that you go to?

Last edited:
Each city is different. One city did not need one for an insurance office, and the city 10 minutes down the freeway needed one.

so does this mean that you need a business license with every city and county that you go to?

I believe each city is different. I get a letter from the city I live in asking if I am doing business. The others don't send me anything.

If required, get a license for the city your OFFICE is in (even if its your home). That is usually all that is required. You might need the occupancy permit as well, I know my town does if I work out of the house. This is just something that says yes, the one person who shows up a month isn't a hassle for parking or noise or whatever. Part of the game if you work out of the house.

You are one business, you should only need one license. Thats not legal advice, just common sense advice.

Now, if you knock on doors as a solicitor, then you may need a separate permit in each town for that.

Dan

Back