California Insurance Market

Yeah. God is that guy slippery. He has been instrumental in nearly destroying on of the most beautiful states in the country, and he held his own pretty well in that interview.

Slimy bastard.
You're just jealous that you didn't get to go to The French Laundry in the middle of COVID.

Well, California has for the first time in history had a population decline.

From what I've read, they were net negative in US population change but net positive overall.

These people from other countries don't know what they're in for politically. But it is still the most beautiful and geographically diverse state in the country by far.

I love to visit...

I am afraid Nevada is next. The last 12 months for personal lines have been insane. In my 15 years of being an IA I have never seen anything close to what is happening in terms of having difficulty placing business, not to mention actually getting lower prices for clients.

Carriers are leaving or no longer accepting new PL business (Hippo, Typtap, Kemper/American Access, Badger Mutual) or adding prebinding restrictions in a manner which effectively eliminates 25-30% of clients who used to be no problem to write (Progressive ,CSE and Mercury).

I guess its good for agency owners here that have a large book because renewal premiums keep skyrocketing and the competition cannot or will not offer lower quotes, so clients are stuck in many cases. Not so great for agents looking to get into business.

Really hoping things "normalize" but I think this will continue for the foreseeable future.

I am afraid Nevada is next. The last 12 months for personal lines have been insane. In my 15 years of being an IA I have never seen anything close to what is happening in terms of having difficulty placing business, not to mention actually getting lower prices for clients.

Carriers are leaving or no longer accepting new PL business (Hippo, Typtap, Kemper/American Access, Badger Mutual) or adding prebinding restrictions in a manner which effectively eliminates 25-30% of clients who used to be no problem to write (Progressive ,CSE and Mercury).

I guess its good for agency owners here that have a large book because renewal premiums keep skyrocketing and the competition cannot or will not offer lower quotes, so clients are stuck in many cases. Not so great for agents looking to get into business.

Really hoping things "normalize" but I think this will continue for the foreseeable future.

I'm in Ca, so I can't speak for Nevada. With that said, I don't see anything telling me it's going to get significantly better in the near term.

To address your other comment, yes. For us agents with an established book, as well as plenty of markets, it's a net benefit. This is the most my book has grown, and I'm still in the office rarely more than 20hrs a week.

Back