Can someone help with my LTD claim?

PatNeedsHelp

Hi, I am very concerned. My LTD carrier is requesting that my doctor provide to them a disability rating regarding my claim. I have been on this claim for 2.5 years now and am supposed to be coming up on renewal but I fear that they may be trying to reduce or stop my payments altogether. Can anyone tell me if this is normal procedure for an LTD case?

Thanks very much.
Pat

Normally LTD carriers use their "own" docs.

Carriers often check to see if you are still disabled. Depends on the condition and the policy definition of disability.

FWIW if you have SSDI they will periodically review your claim status as well.

This is perfectly normal. Not all disabilities last forever. So the carrier must periodically asses medical condition to ensure the ailment is still considered a Disability under the terms of the policy. And of course they cant just take the insureds word for it. (they didnt in the beginning so why now?)

The first step (and hopefully only step) is to ask your normal physician for this assessment. If they do not believe your doctor for some reason, then they will ask for a second opinion from a doctor of their choice... and then you can start worrying...

Back