Cancer costs are still rising—and so are million-dollar-plus medical claims

Cancer is clearly a money maker for pharma. Following the money also shows its a money maker for other areas of our economy... this is sad because of the wake of pain and tragedy it leaves behind.
The disease is sad but not so much the fact that pharma makes money from the sale of drugs. If it were not for the profit motive we would not have all the wonderful life saving drugs that we have today. It is nice to help people in need but profit has always been a much stronger motivator that all the altruistic ideas in the world and always will be.

If it were not for the profit motive we would not have all the wonderful life saving drugs that we have today.

That profit making motive has a duel edge... you never fully fix what you can profit on in the continued repair. I am not conspiracy minded, but those making profit from cancer have would find no incentive than to do other wise.

Cancer is big business, for hospital/clinics, pharma, and a host of well meaning organizations. I discovered this when my sister battle the beast several years ago (she made it home safely).

If you could fully cure cancer, how many people would you put out of work?

How much interest or profit does China have in our cancer treatment?

But we are faced with the "curse" proclaimed in Genesis, and if were not cancer I am most certain it would be something else.

For instance, if baldness where fatal, I would have died many years ago. :laugh:;)

That profit making motive has a duel edge... you never fully fix what you can profit on in the continued repair. I am not conspiracy minded, but those making profit from cancer have would find no incentive than to do other wise.

Cancer is big business, for hospital/clinics, pharma, and a host of well meaning organizations. I discovered this when my sister battle the beast several years ago (she made it home safely).

If you could fully cure cancer, how many people would you put out of work?

How much interest or profit does China have in our cancer treatment?

But we are faced with the "curse" proclaimed in Genesis, and if were not cancer I am most certain it would be something else.

For instance, if baldness where fatal, I would have died many years ago. :laugh:;)
I don't agree... Look at all the diseases that have been "fully" cured or close to it over the years.... Polio and Smallpox are just two that come to mind... If they fully cure cancer, they will move on to something else... When I take my car to the shop, I expect the mechanic to "fully cure" what is wrong with it and not juts fix it enough to get by.

I don't agree... Look at all the diseases that have been "fully" cured or close to it over the years.... Polio and Smallpox are just two that come to mind... If they fully cure cancer, they will move on to something else... When I take my car to the shop, I expect the mechanic to "fully cure" what is wrong with it and not juts fix it enough to get by.

Those diseases where cured many years ago, long before big pharma had its hooks in the political world. We live in a day and age when drug companies are showing your screen with ads. Do you have any idea what it cost for them to do that... and who are they doing it for? Only doctors can prescribe...

Once again follow the money... your short sighted if you don't understand how people can become corrupt.

As to the car repair, I have some experience here. I worked with a transplant, in a tier one plant. Part of my responsibility was to review warranty items that had been returned to the transplant. Warranty cost were crazy expensive. Part cost not labor cost, was often far and above original part price. Many dealerships make much more in the service side of the shop then in sales.

Think of printers and copiers. I remember when ink was cheap, but the machine was costly. Have you seen the cost of ink lately?

Simple laws of supply and demand... you can think other wise, others don't.

I have to keep arguing because we lost a few pot stirrers as of late. ;)

Those diseases where cured many years ago, long before big pharma had its hooks in the political world. We live in a day and age when drug companies are showing your screen with ads. Do you have any idea what it cost for them to do that... and who are they doing it for? Only doctors can prescribe...

Once again follow the money... your short sighted if you don't understand how people can become corrupt.

As to the car repair, I have some experience here. I worked with a transplant, in a tier one plant. Part of my responsibility was to review warranty items that had been returned to the transplant. Warranty cost were crazy expensive. Part cost not labor cost, was often far and above original part price. Many dealerships make much more in the service side of the shop then in sales.

Think of printers and copiers. I remember when ink was cheap, but the machine was costly. Have you seen the cost of ink lately?

Simple laws of supply and demand... you can think other wise, others don't.

I have to keep arguing because we lost a few pot stirrers as of late. ;)
I have never said supply and demand was not a part of it. In fact that is the very reason some drugs cost so much. The company spends millions to bring a drug to market but the condition it is to treat is rare. Therefore since there is little demand the price is very high. Kind of reverse of what you normally think supply and demand means.

Last edited:
The percentages by themselves make this headline news and look scarier than it is.

Here is a quote from the study.

“The number of patients with more than $1.5 million in claims went up 54 percent, from 46 in 2015 to 71 in 2018, and the number of patients with more than $3 million in claims rose 140 percent, from five in 2015 to 12 in 2018.”

If you read the study only 190 claims exceeded $1M.
Sun Life Financial - $3 million+ medical claims more than doubled from 2015 to 2018<br>Patients with $1.5 million or more in claims rose 54%

Back