Cancer Insurance for Seniors? Need Sources

Jeebus!! Some of you guys need to get laid or something. Every time some of you don't see eye to eye there is a pissing match.

State your point and move along.

I agree... the OP needs to chill. If someone wants to state their opinion that seniors shouldn't be sold cancer insurance... so be it.

Honest question, not smug. Does anyone on this board have a client who has received a payout from a cancer policy?

I know agents with clients who have received disability, life, accident, obviously health but have yet to hear a single story about someone getting that elusive "$50K" cancer check.

Honest question, not smug. Does anyone on this board have a client who has received a payout from a cancer policy?

I know agents with clients who have received disability, life, accident, obviously health but have yet to hear a single story about someone getting that elusive "$50K" cancer check.

I've been writing cancer insurance for over 20 years. I've had some big payouts on cancer policies.....$20,000+ in a few cases. I wonder how companies make money on them.

I sold tons of the Kanawha plans. I still get CC'd on the letter that accompanies the check for the lump sum. The largest I've seen was $25k on a plan that was probably not five years old and didn't cost $25/mo. Now that Humana owns the company they've stopped stating the amount in the letter.

As I see it, my job is to educated. After my client is educated they can buy what the want - although I will not sell junk. They can choose another agent for that.

So as long as the plan is solid and properly underwritten (Not by Billy Bob's Fire & Casualty out of Pig's Knuckle Arkansas) I'll be happy to write it.

Noted. I was curious as to whether anyone has personal experience with these kinds of policies. Thank you.

I have a life client that had a payout on one from Pyramid. She wasn't my client for that one, but, she did show me the cancelled check for $75,000 that she got from a lump sum cancer policy.

I've had some big payouts on cancer policies.....$20,000+ in a few cases. I wonder how companies make money on them.

Let's face it, if they weren't profitable, they wouldn't be selling them.

Believe I read the loss ratio(s) for these types of products are in the 30-35% range...which would make them THE most profitable contracts many health insurers sell.

You are probably right, Paul. I believe GA requires a minimum 40% loss ratio for supplemental plans, not just limited to cancer.

I've been writing cancer insurance for over 20 years. I've had some big payouts on cancer policies.....$20,000+ in a few cases. I wonder how companies make money on them.

My brother is a hard head who would never listen to me and frankly I never wanted to deal with him. However, he had a cancer policy with someone (probably Combined) on his wife that didn't cost him much of nothing and he collected $10,000.

Back