Cataract surgery plan G

I was wondering if it was you that first became aware of the cataracts and you mentioned it first to the Dr or did the Dr notice it first and mention it to you?
I noticed my vision was changing almost monthly. It became quite apparent when my depth perception was so bad I had difficulty landing my plane.

Rick

Can't speak for Rick, but in my case I noticed first as my Rx was changing more than once per year. Started out -1.25 and within a couple of years was around -5.00. I'd get contacts and within a few months they seemed too weak and I'd go in and get a new Rx. It took the optometrist quite a while to finally diagnose cataracts.

I noticed my vision was changing almost monthly. It became quite apparent when my depth perception was so bad I had difficulty landing my plane.

Rick

WRONG! The Eye Dr really does not care who pays for the surgery. Its only that he knows he has a much better chance of selling you on getting your cataracts removed if the Government is going to pay for it Especially if the cataracts have not even been bothering the patient in the first place

Kinda ruins your doctor out to get patient theory, doesn't it?

Insurance (including Medicare) generally won't pay for cataract surgery unless the patient's best corrected vision is 20/60 or worse. They also won't pay for scar tissue (from the cataract surgery) laser procedures unless 20/60 or worse. I go in next month for scar tissue laser treatment.

If anyone thinks cataracts are not noticeable, try driving at night with them.

My ophthalmologist is now doing some VA work. She told me the average for VA patients is 6 year waiting time. When she did my surgery, my best corrected vision in that eye was 20/400...corrected! Had to wait like 18 months on that due to uveitis.

Also went through retinal surgery (vitrectomy). 9 days face down after that. No fun. Watched the Super Bowl with a special mirror. I am kind of the poster boy for eye issues.

Insurance (including Medicare) generally won't pay for cataract surgery unless the patient's best corrected vision is 20/60 or worse. They also won't pay for scar tissue (from the cataract surgery) laser procedures unless 20/60 or worse. I go in next month for scar tissue laser treatment.

If anyone thinks cataracts are not noticeable, try driving at night with them.

My ophthalmologist is now doing some VA work. She told me the average for VA patients is 6 year waiting time. When she did my surgery, my best corrected vision in that eye was 20/400...corrected! Had to wait like 18 months on that due to uveitis.

Also went through retinal surgery (vitrectomy). 9 days face down after that. No fun. Watched the Super Bowl with a special mirror. I am kind of the poster boy for eye issues.

I do have a "quality of life" question for you. Although I don't know for sure, I think I am older than you or rick. If I could save up for it, and at the time the cataract surgery becomes necessary, If my overall health would suggest I have a reasonable chance of at least 10 more years of life into my 80's or early 90's, does your experience with that toric lens businesss suggest that would be a worthwhile "quality of life" purchase, at least for one eye?

I do have a "quality of life" question for you. Although I don't know for sure, I think I am older than you or rick. If I could save up for it, and at the time the cataract surgery becomes necessary, If my overall health would suggest I have a reasonable chance of at least 10 more years of life into my 80's or early 90's, does your experience with that toric lens businesss suggest that would be a worthwhile "quality of life" purchase, at least for one eye?
For astigmatics, I think it is worth it even if you come out a little behind versus eye wear costs over the period. Insurance will cover the non-torics but you would still need corrective lenses (contacts or glasses) to fix the astigmatism. With this lens, it's all fixed together.

For me, I like waking up and being able to see clearly without having to put in contacts.

It took the optometrist quite a while to finally diagnose cataracts.

magoo_012.jpg

Back