Hi, My name is Colleen and I am new to this forum. I am also new to the insurance industry. Yikes, it's a large one. Recently, my partner and I decided that we wanted to understand more about the insurance industry because we both have a desire to help to empower in ways that people may not directly think of. Insurance and true understanding of what it's policies are saying provides self-empowerment, unfortunately, it sounds like by many, that insurance is not really looked at in the best light - kind of like a "grunge" task, meaning you know you have to get some in some way shape or form, however, it's the last on your priority list.

From my own limited research and basic outreaching with brokers, I can tell that there are many layers to this industry as well as many challenges! I have a TON to learn but I am hoping to gain valuable insight from my new community to help me understand where I can help out. Feel free to message me with what's on your mind while working in this area and even more valuable, how you have overcome challenges in this industry. Cheers!

Recently, my partner and I decided that we wanted to understand more about the insurance industry because we both have a desire to help to empower in ways that people may not directly think of. Insurance and true understanding of what it's policies are saying provides self-empowerment

Many of the people on this site get in the industry because they want to empower their own bank account.

For many of us that are passionate about insurance, the most powerful thing we have is the ability to put people to sleep, or make them run away when we talk about insurance.

really looked at in the best light - kind of like a "grunge" task, meaning you know you have to get some in some way shape or form, however, it's the last on your priority list.

Sort of like shaving, taking out the garbage, or cleaning the litter box. (I do not do the latter.)

Human nature is to put off today what "can" be done tomorrow. :yes:

Yet life is a funny thing... it promises no tomorrow and few corpse feel the need to sign paper work, much like they often feel before they are in that horizontal condition. Those of us who attempt to inform the living of the ever present danger of this condition called "death", are often confronted by very stubborn individuals who though do not agree with the prospects of meeting their maker, they prefer to do so financially unprepared. Thus the wisdom of moment is to wait until the next moment, of which one is left without guarantee.:no:

Each of us has whole to fill... the question is do we pay for it now, or leave it for others to pay for it to be dug later, leaving our "grunge" or others? :wideeyed:

What type of insurance are you looking at? Life insurance I'm guessing?
Hi Markthebroker! Love your avatar and thanks for reaching out. That's a great question and to be honest, we are still feeling things out. Life Insurance is a very important area for obvious reasons and living in the legal field at a time in my life, I have first hand understanding that it's also an area where people need to focus more on. What type of insurance are you in and/or prefer? Warmly. Colleen

Are you British? Do you drink tea and eat crumpets? :huh:
Hello goillini52. Thanks for reaching out. I have always found this word to be a fun, light- hearted word and enjoy tea a lot (but only good tasting, clean tea. ;-)) How long have you been in this industry? Do you enjoy it? It would be great to hear your views. Warmly, Colleen

Hi Markthebroker! Love your avatar and thanks for reaching out. That's a great question and to be honest, we are still feeling things out. Life Insurance is a very important area for obvious reasons and living in the legal field at a time in my life, I have first hand understanding that it's also an area where people need to focus more on. What type of insurance are you in and/or prefer? Warmly. Colleen

I sell strictly commercial property and property and casualty. Every couple years or so I sell a life insurance policy.

Many of the people on this site get in the industry because they want to empower their own bank account.

For many of us that are passionate about insurance, the most powerful thing we have is the ability to put people to sleep, or make them run away when we talk about insurance.
I would say that if my broker can put me in a state of calm around my financial parts of life so that I sleep well at night, that's a win in my books to the broker. :-) Are you a broker?

I would say that if my broker can put me in a state of calm around my financial parts of life so that I sleep well at night, that's a win in my books to the broker.

Yeah, that sounds good, but then look at how hard life agents are fighting to get appointments.

Are you a broker?

In my state, and likely all states, pretty much the only successful commercial agents are brokers. There are a few successful captive agents that are allowed to broker under old contracts, which basically makes them brokers. Yes, I am a broker.

The overwhelming consensus on this site is that independent is the way to go.

Back