Child Only Policies in GA

cmbilt

Expert
Last I heard, carriers do not offer child only policies in GA. Has anyone heard anything different or if any carriers will be getting back into this market?

* Somarco, be gentle...

Last I heard, carriers do not offer child only policies in GA. Has anyone heard anything different or if any carriers will be getting back into this market?

* Somarco, be gentle...

NO - we would have heard it if there was. No company wants to do it because of the mandates. Look at the rates for children (when an adult is on the policy). Most companies have jacked up the base rate for the kid's portion, and don't even try if they have health issues. We had one whose dad lost the job with great benefits, daughter was using acne meds ($$). The premium for just her was in the $600/month range (she is 16). You can't deny coverage, and you can't exclude. You can however, rate up, and pay the agent 0% commission while you are doing it.

Thanks AndreaSti. I didn't think so.

I would not write a policy if they paid 0% commission. What carrier is that? That's just bad business.

BXBS pays on those max rate ups for children on family policies. Paid me on the actual rated up premium too! Kinda nice. Only had 1 client like that so far...

Going from memory, H1 does pay on the base premium.

Forgot about KP. Do they pay on everyone but the kid or do like Cigna and pay nothing on any family member?

Is Coventry still around?

Yes Coventry is around and has an office at 1100 Circle 75 Pkwy in Atlanta.

Going from memory, H1 does pay on the base premium.

Forgot about KP. Do they pay on everyone but the kid or do like Cigna and pay nothing on any family member?

Is Coventry still around?

KP charges up to 100% premium on a GI kid. Since they don't have a way to charge for the child only on a family, what they say they would do is: take one parent with the kid onto a separate policy, charge BOTH of them 100% rate up, and then pay the agent zero, thank you very much. They say they have to do it this way to avoid adverse selection, since other carriers are charging even higher rate ups, depending on the condition.

charge BOTH of them 100% rate up, and then pay the agent zero, thank you very much. They say they have to do it this way to avoid adverse selection, since other carriers are charging even higher rate ups, depending on the condition.

Yeah, right.

Those commission points are the difference in losing money or at least breaking even on a policy.

Carriers that do this are just saying they really don't want to write GI kids . . . and I can't blame them one bit. But when they cut the agent out of compensation altogether they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that I ever wrote much Cigna business any way, but I stopped offering anyone with a kid under 19 a Cigna proposal. Can't run the risk one of the kids is sick and not disclosed to me and then I have worked for $0.

I kept asking KP what they were going to do on kids for the longest time and never got a response. They weren't competitive last year so I just forgot about them.

The new plans look good but can't get past that HMO stigma.

Gotta file this away about zero comp on families with GI kids so I don't work for free with them either.

Back