Chromebook on the Cheaper

ksigmtsu

Guru
1000 Post Club
So a couple companies came out with chromebooks, they're in the 500$ range, they basically run just the browser.

Nice idea in concept, however, with a very very small time investment you can build one yourself with an old laptop or even a new laptop, with better features, better options, and for cheaper.

Heres a bit of insight into what google is doing. With android, they took a linux kernel, then build an app store and interface around it. With the chromebooks, they've actually done sort of the opposite. They took a linux kernel, then they're building up software as a service options (sas) for people with chrome to use from the chrome app store.

This is a great benefit to linux users. They've basically given a huge amount of sas options to people who choose to run linux.

To test out a theory, over the weekend I repaired an old laptop, its like a 300 dollar toshiba with a celeron processor and 3 gigs of ram, wasn't up to date when I bought it. It does have 2 gigs more ram than a chromebook, and a processor that runs at 2.2 ghz instead of a 1.6ghz atom.

I took a single disk 32 bit ubuntu install of 11.04, ran it, and thats it. Did the automatic update ubuntu does, and right there if you stopped and did no further customization, you have firefox, libreoffice, and a ton of other apps preinstalled and running with no modification. You visit google, 1 time, and you can download chrome, and you have at that point a chromebook. All the software auto-updates. Virus free. Faster than a mac or pc.

My total expense in building the thing was 60 bucks because I had to repair a power outlet on the laptop and buy a new charger because my wife lost it.

You can build a brand new one, with similar battery life and features to a chromebook by picking up a trash netbook at a overstock merchandise store, or tigerdirect, or ebay, downloading the 32 bit install of ubuntu (there are other options but I believe it is the easiest I've seen), and installing it.

The computer will feel about 300% faster than it did running windows. My old 2.16ghz celeron makes my wifes core2 duo laptop look really bad in terms of speed. It boots up faster, it does website stuff faster, it never crashes, and with a few added pieces of software, its downright amazing the extra things you can make it do.

I have 4 active desktops, a bottom row dock, a left row dock, but they all stay out of sight until moused over.

Point being, before you go drop 500$ on a chromebook to buy a name, why not get an old laptop from a pawn shop, or an old netbook, and do the same thing for half the price.

Here is better than the same specs as a new chromebook from the highest end linux laptop manufacturer, for 385.00. And this is as top of the line as it gets. Add a 6 cell battery and you're still under 500 bucks.

Starling NetBook - Ubuntu Linux Laptop - 10 inch - System76

I had never opened the case on a laptop till this saturday. It took me an hour to open this old one up, take it apart completely, cut out the old power plug and solder a new one in.

You don't have to repair a broken one to do this, you can get a laptop at a pawn shop or swap meet, yard sale, or even a brand new one, and still come out cheaper than you can with a chromebook, with the same or better features, and better software, for at least 100$ cheaper.

The other way to do this is to use your laptop as a normal laptop. Sometimes we try to solve problems that don't exist.

No doubt a 'chromebook' will run faster, boot quicker, etc, but it does have other limitations, such as not always running the software you need. All depends on what your needs and wants are.

Dan

Also, if you already have a phone that can be a 3g or 4g hotspot, you can use the wifi hotspot and use your laptop just like a chromebook, but it doesn't REQUIRE the internet with a linux laptop to do anything.

You can also use the same chrome app store apps, they work just fine on a non chromebook. The chromebook concept is sort of a gimmick.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The other way to do this is to use your laptop as a normal laptop. Sometimes we try to solve problems that don't exist.

No doubt a 'chromebook' will run faster, boot quicker, etc, but it does have other limitations, such as not always running the software you need. All depends on what your needs and wants are.

Dan

The laptop im doing this with was unbearably slow with windows.

Also, no operating system licensing fees, no cost on any of the software, virus proof, and no crashing.

Last edited:
I had never opened the case on a laptop till this saturday. It took me an hour to open this old one up, take it apart completely, cut out the old power plug and solder a new one in.

You don't have to repair a broken one to do this, you can get a laptop at a pawn shop or swap meet, yard sale, or even a brand new one, and still come out cheaper than you can with a chromebook, with the same or better features, and better software, for at least 100$ cheaper.

I have a spare laptop, that just needs a new battery.

how is the linux system for a noob? you have to use only linux versions of programs? like mac vs windows?

Ubuntu is simple. I mean simpler to install that windows simple. You load the disk, click install. It comes with office, firefox, etc, preinstalled.

Having said that, if you want to use windows only programs, it is difficult. You CAN run them using WINE, but I do not know how hard it is. I haven't tried to run a windows program, haven't needed to.

Dropbox, Chrome, and a bunch of other programs HAVE linux versions, you can get the apt pack from the websites.

Other fun thing, you can go google like, ubuntu tweaks, and get a extra GUI menu of free software you can just click to install, same thing with the Ubuntu software center. They're like app stores for your phone, but everything is free.

If you try it, first thing after you install make sure you update everything using the update tool that comes up on its own (in the app store), or by control-alt-T (brings up terminal) then type sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade. That will update everything on the system to current.

Last edited:
I must have wandered in to the wrong forum. Perhaps I need to hit control-alt-delete to get back to where I started.

I must have wandered in to the wrong forum. Perhaps I need to hit control-alt-delete to get back to where I started.

Alt-f4 works

Figured the technology forum is for talking about technology.

Ubuntu is simple. I mean simpler to install that windows simple. You load the disk, click install. It comes with office, firefox, etc, preinstalled.

Having said that, if you want to use windows only programs, it is difficult. You CAN run them using WINE, but I do not know how hard it is. I haven't tried to run a windows program, haven't needed to.

Dropbox, Chrome, and a bunch of other programs HAVE linux versions, you can get the apt pack from the websites.

Other fun thing, you can go google like, ubuntu tweaks, and get a extra GUI menu of free software you can just click to install, same thing with the Ubuntu software center. They're like app stores for your phone, but everything is free.

If you try it, first thing after you install make sure you update everything using the update tool that comes up on its own (in the app store), or by control-alt-T (brings up terminal) then type sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade. That will update everything on the system to current.

I was mainly interested in it to run seo software like scrapebox, article marketing robot, sick submitter, senukex, seo powersuite, market samurai....etc etc

Back