Cleveland Clinic EHP/Medicare

alphawave2k

Guru
100+ Post Club
I’been guilty of "over-splaining", so sorry for the long post. I have a husband wife duo that live in OH, with the following situation. Husband is a CC employee who will qualify for the EHP retiree version, and currently covered b/c of disability. His retirement qualifying period will become effective January 2023. He was told to take Part A/B effective this spring (April), at which time he signed up for a Med Supp/PDP. Based on his latest conversation w/HR, this after our talk, I told him to float the idea that “he was thinking about signing up for a Med Supp/PDP”. HR told him he'd forfeit the right to the retiree plan possibly permanently and irrevocably if he signed up for these, kicking both he and his wife out of the CC EHP option. His current premium for Med Supp/PDP is $145/mo, while under the CC retiree plan it'd be closer to $250, and double that with his wife added on before her Medicare entitlement.

His wife is only 62 and covered on the EGHP plan. He's gotten all his medical and prescription meds at the CC since being on Medicare, with the crossover billing going to his Med Supp plan. In essence he’s had 2 plans going on simultaneously. His retiree benefits plan, different than the regular EGHP starts in January, as the clock was ticking in his favor to satisfy the minimum time to qualify for retiree benefits, during his disability period.
His options now seem to be, either stay on his Med Supp/PDP and disqualify himself from the CC retiree plan, or plead ignorance based on the bad or no advice provided him by HR and cancel his Med Supp and PDP plan and allow his wife and he to stay on the CC plan. I told him that before he cancelled anything to talk to HR again and get something in writing that he will still qualify for the retiree plan if he backed out of the Med Supp PDP option, which would allow his wife to stay on, otherwise she'd have to be on ACA until T-65. Looked at ACA plans based on their income, and the Deductible and MOOP are in the $5K-$9K with an affordable premium…$250 ish/mo.
I've pushed him this far, to have him drag this information out of HR, who seems lackadaisical as far as painting a clear picture for someone in this situation. He claimed to have called HR numerous times during Medicare sign-up, but it was difficult as he was dealing with his disability issues and they were not being very responsive.
Easy to analyze after the fact, but all this information should have been communicated to him earlier and more clearly earlier before his Medicare came into effect. On the other hand, most folks in those situations don't know to dig hard enough to ask the proper questions or talk to the wrong sources at a critical juncture that will help them make the right decision.
Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.

Not being critical, but this is a long post and, like most agents, I am running on fumes right now.

Summarizing . . .

He is on retirement disability, turns 65 Jan 2023, told by employer to enroll in A/B . . .

This is where it goes off the rails for me. Is he currently on a Medigap or thinking of enrolling in 2023? If he has A/B now why does he have a Medigap plan? If he doesn't have A/B, how did he get a supplement plan?

When he retires, if he stays on the EGHP + adding Medicare, EGHP is primary, Medicare is secondary. Spouse (should) be able to stay on EGH as long as he is covered by the EGH retiree plan.

You can be critical, guilty as charged and appreciate you reading through it all. I loaded up all the details, so there wouldn't be a lot of back and forth, though it's a little convoluted.
So, after the fact he turned 65 in April, has Parts A/B w/ Medigap and PDP. In retrospect he should have not signed up, b/c be would cancel and forfeit his EGP retiree bennies, leaving his wife out of his EGHP, which he didn't know at the time. Those are the rules.
Back to the future. He's now faced with:
1. Coming clean w/HR about his real status and potentially losing out on his retiree bennies along w/his wife.
2. Stay w/ his current set-up, but will have to have his wife on an ACA plan until she turns 65, which as we know those plans suck and are expensive.

I didn't know how to advise him other than pleading innocence w/HR since he was not properly informed at the time he signed up for his Medicare. He was told that he needed to take his parts A/B by HR (wrong advice possibly), in order to qualify for his EGHP (which didn't make sense to me either), since Medicare would be secondary.
Will park it here since I don't see what else he could do.

Back to the future. He's now faced with:
1. Coming clean w/HR about his real status and potentially losing out on his retiree bennies along w/his wife.
2. Stay w/ his current set-up, but will have to have his wife on an ACA plan until she turns 65, which as we know those plans suck and are expensive.

I didn't know how to advise him other than pleading innocence w/HR since he was not properly informed at the time he signed up for his Medicare. He was told that he needed to take his parts A/B by HR (wrong advice possibly), in order to qualify for his EGHP (which didn't make sense to me either), since Medicare would be secondary.
Will park it here since I don't see what else he could do.

I don't see an out for him.

He can beg forgiveness from HR (who MAY or may NOT be the source of bum information from the start) and hope for the best. I doubt this can be swept under the rug and hope no one notices. Even if it does go unnoticed it will no doubt come back and bite him in the future.

I assume they are not current clients, so you can always blame this on "the other guy", which is convenient in situations like this.

Personally, when I run into these things and I was not the one who screwed it up I just tell them there is nothing I can do and don't even TRY to present suggestions.

Meanwhile, do they own a DeLorean? Might come in handy . . .

images

Thanks for taking the time...I figured as much. My post was probably more a rhetorical question with an imbedded rant. I try to learn a lesson from every mishap. Many times, we (I) assume the prospect knows where he stands and where he's going, but it seems many times they don't. My takeaway and not just from this episode, is to drill down on the possible details before proceeding further.
Anywhere that DeLorean might be for lease? I'm sure there'd be many takers on that one!

Back