Client Doesn't Want to Go on Medicaid

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
This client of mine after his expenses will be down to an income of $14,000.00 in IL that means Medicaid If he doesn't want to go on medicaid will he be fined. His doctor won't except it.

Right now I have him on a Indemity Plan with Philadelphia American which he has had for a couple years, he's used it & likes it a lot & his doctor takes it.

Will he be fined if he doesn't accept Medicaid?

This client of mine after his expenses will be down to an income of $14,000.00 in IL that means Medicaid If he doesn't want to go on medicaid will he be fined. His doctor won't except it.

Right now I have him on a Indemity Plan with Philadelphia American which he has had for a couple years, he's used it & likes it a lot & his doctor takes it.

Will he be fined if he doesn't accept Medicaid?

Since income for 2014 is a projection, why not just bump it up to the minimum to avoid Medicaid?

Rick

I don't think he will be fined.

The rules changed mid-December when Obama announced that you could stay on your current plan. Even if its not ACA compliant. If he had his plan prior to 1/1, he is now supposed to be able to keep it. Assuming they changed his renewal date to 12/1, he will have until at least 12/1/14. Since who knows how many rules will change between now and then.

If the client already has the eligibility results from healthcare.gov, its almost impossible to change. Go ahead and call, but the turnaround to "change" your application is 6 weeks to get a call back. You have to sign, under penalty of perjury, that you will tell them if your income changes, but they don't have a mechanism in place to tell them your income changes. Lovely.:mad:

If he's happy, I would just hang on til open enrollment.

I don't think he will be fined.

The rules changed mid-December when Obama announced that you could stay on your current plan. Even if its not ACA compliant. If he had his plan prior to 1/1, he is now supposed to be able to keep it. Assuming they changed his renewal date to 12/1, he will have until at least 12/1/14. Since who knows how many rules will change between now and then.

If the client already has the eligibility results from healthcare.gov, its almost impossible to change. Go ahead and call, but the turnaround to "change" your application is 6 weeks to get a call back. You have to sign, under penalty of perjury, that you will tell them if your income changes, but they don't have a mechanism in place to tell them your income changes. Lovely.:mad:

If he's happy, I would just hang on til open enrollment.

first off, yes the prez did change the rules about keeping their plan for 1 more year however it then became a state by state decision. so someone from the state you are selling in can chime in... next, its not impossible to change the application after the eligibility results have been handed down, just remove the application and start over with MORE ACCURATE NUMBERS, no, not convincing the client to "lie" or fudge the numbers higher... that would be illegal. You can remove the application and state more accurate numbers or start fresh with a new email address and new account..

Only because I am in the middle of this, do I know how hard it is to change your income information once its been accepted. (I had a woman call me after it was done, she put down her Social Security survivors benefits as SSI.) Its a friggin nightmare. She made a mistake. We are 6 weeks in and can't get it corrected. If I am reading this correctly, the client has completed the application and its been accepted. You can't just delete those. And taterpeeler....if you know how, please clue me in. This woman has survived brain cancer twice, her husband had a heart attack in the middle of her "I'm done with chemo" celebration dinner and her teenage daughter recently started "cutting". I would like to do whatever I can to help this woman. And Healthcare.gov is saying, "Yes, you can do it, but you have to wait for a return call." There is not a number to call. They do not leave messages. We are having lots of fun.

In late November I had self-employed client enter his Nov2013 income as -$4,000 because healthcare.gov asked, "What is your expected business income this month? Entering a negative income is acceptable." (He spent $4,000 more on building supplies THAT month than what was received from customers.)

Healthcare.gov assigned him an annual income of $-48,000 ($-4,000 x 12) and off to Medicaid he went. Called the hc.gov hotline. They said that we shouldn't have taken that question so literally. (!duh!) They would wipe out his application and call the applicant when this was accomplished.

SOLUTION:
After 3 weeks, no callback from hc.gov with how to resolve it. So, we did what someone in this VALUABLE forum suggested and set up a new E-mail address and applied from scratch. This time, it worked like a charm. He's now insured by BCBS-IL with a CSR/Subsidized $250 deductible policy.
ac

@AllenChicago....I asked that question. Because we are changing the information, if she does that, its illegal. It has to go through the "change" process. I'm getting tired of change.

Can you tell I want this issue resolved???

@AllenChicago....I asked that question. Because we are changing the information, if she does that, its illegal. It has to go through the "change" process. I'm getting tired of change.

Can you tell I want this issue resolved???

KGMom, do what is best for your client. Our FFM certification/training said to be honest on the application. Don't let someone who's moonlighting at hc.gov for a few months affect your moral compass. Make this client happy and move on to help the next one.

Back