Cold Calling for P&C

MattNewbie

Expert
HELLO! Newbie here, getting excellent P&C training at a large Los Angeles insurance company now the hard part begins, I need to make sales! OK, there's a lot of threads on the cold calling forum for health and life ins but VERY little for P&C! Yes I can get lists of plumbing and electrical & HVAC contractors to call but these people are ALREADY getting called 10x a day at least! Pointless! So WTF do I do here? Can anybody doing P&C marketing give me some tips? Perhaps P&C sales are not done too effectively using cold calling! What to do!

HELLO! Newbie here, getting excellent P&C training at a large Los Angeles insurance company now the hard part begins, I need to make sales! OK, there's a lot of threads on the cold calling forum for health and life ins but VERY little for P&C! Yes I can get lists of plumbing and electrical & HVAC contractors to call but these people are ALREADY getting called 10x a day at least! Pointless! So WTF do I do here? Can anybody doing P&C marketing give me some tips? Perhaps P&C sales are not done too effectively using cold calling! What to do!

I take it you are wanting to focus in commercial then? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Build a book of x-dates while talking to people so you know when to call back and try to get things for renewals. don't be afraid to take a BOR letter either if meeting with someone, because if they like you then make it so they keep you even if they have the best policy.

And cold-calling is definitely a great thing to do, but try door-walking as well. Networking isn't bad either, though it takes a while for that to work.

Focus on 1-3 SIC codes for carriers. Either do what the agency specializes in, or go make your own specialities. Focus on them, learn the hell and sell the hell out of them, and then work on some more to diversify. don't be a jack of all trades. I tell them to hit the road jack! :D

I totally agree with NC agent on the commercial side. I might add that you might have more success quicker calling the small businesses say less that 10 people. A couple of ideas to work with for your script:

our rates have not gone up in X months.
our rates have only gone up x% compared to others x%.
most people simply don't understand their policy and if I can spend some time educating you I'm certain you can identify areas for savings.

It's a numbers game... work the numbers and expedite your learning curve and do so consistently every day every week. Good luck!

Back