Cold Calling Help

Why are you calling on businesses as opposed to consumers?

I will start calling regular people in the future. But for now I thought cold calling small businesses would be a better place to start. They seem to be nicer and more willing to listen to my presentation. Life insuracne is about sharing risk and I think small business owners have more to loose than the average customer (their house, their car, their business, ect.). Because of this there seems to be more interest in that market.

Cold calling sure does suck though. As soon as I get some money I'm heading straight to purchase some new leads. I also think I need to find other ways in geting leads. Buying leads and cold calling can't be the only way to make money. I think I'll try passing out some brochures, trying to get refurals from dealerships and mortgage companies, and trying to get leads from my own website. I think its better for customers to come to me than me chasing them down.

If youguys have any tips or suggestions please help me out. This is my first week in the business. My Grandfather has been in insurance for 30 years (working for allstate, owning an allstate agency, and working independant), but right now he's on vacation so I'm in this battle alone for right now. I would like to be able to have a couple appointments set by the time he gets back.

For what it's worth, businesses are usually more polite about answering the phone and telling you to go pound salt, but as for as "easier" goes, in my experience it's been easier to get a sale calling consumers.

So far my script is:

Hello, I am a Life Insurance agent in your area calling to make sure that small business owners like yourself are both protected by life insurance and are paying a fair price. Do you currently have life insurance?- (Yes/No) -My company offers life insurance from 27 different companies to make sure that you get the best protection for the best price, would you be interested to see if my company can save you money?

you literally have 5 seconds to grab their attention. does your script grab your attention? you need to find the pain; then you'll gain. ask yourself, why should this business listen to what I have to say and what do I have to offer?

be direct, but be polite. if you don't get an appointment, get an X-date, some reason to call them back in 3-6 months. and then follow up, follow up, follow up.

a former agent friend of mine told me a story where he called on the same business for 3 years before the guy finally gave him the sale. when the agent asked him why he waited so long, the business owner said he wanted to see if he (the agent) would be around in 3 years!:yes:

never give up...unless they tell you to go f*** yourself.

Don't try to sell him over the phone! you want to Build a relationship, and Trust with the Prospect fast as you can. And You have to do it fast!

Last edited:
Back