Cold Calling Opening Question

Interesting and pretty helpful info. I would add for cold calling to make your calls more productive. Use a dialer as most calls are no answer or voicemail, very non-productive to cold call without one. Load your list, talk to only live answer calls.

Also aside from "not asking a question that you don't know the answer to"... i'd stay away from questions that allow them to answer "yes or no" until after you warm them up a bit.

Nothing wrong with being totally upfront about what you'd like to talk about, however, "hi mrs. jones would you like to buy insurance" could be toned down a bit and presented in a more favorable light. (yes i know that's not exactly what your script said)

You'll know immediately if they want to have a discussion with you if you ask the right questions and allow them to talk a bit.

I prefer having a relevant warm up question or topic that they can comment on as opposed to "leading with the chin"

Interesting and pretty helpful info. I would add for cold calling to make your calls more productive. Use a dialer as most calls are no answer or voicemail, very non-productive to cold call without one. Load your list, talk to only live answer calls.

Also aside from "not asking a question that you don't know the answer to"... i'd stay away from questions that allow them to answer "yes or no" until after you warm them up a bit.

Nothing wrong with being totally upfront about what you'd like to talk about, however, "hi mrs. jones would you like to buy insurance" could be toned down a bit and presented in a more favorable light. (yes i know that's not exactly what your script said)

You'll know immediately if they want to have a discussion with you if you ask the right questions and allow them to talk a bit.

I prefer having a relevant warm up question or topic that they can comment on as opposed to "leading with the chin"

Good info, for a person who named theirself GlenBeck. God I hope thats intended to be sarcasm. I'm using Mojo now, got a list that is good, frankly my rates have been too good.. Calling B to B today I called for around 45 minutes and had 30 new pipeline leads then realized that scribbling them on paper and copying to the CRM by hand was not going to work. Made me sad but I think I'm going to have to switch to leads360 for the mojo integration. Expensive as hell, but I wasted an hour today just copying things back and forth to my CRM.

Also, fun tidbit for people. I noticed over the last couple weeks, when people are about to buy something from me they start calling me sir. It seemed so peculiar with seniors that I noticed it, I'm 29 they go from calling me by name to calling me sir over and over. First time I hear sir I know they're ready to close now.

Last edited:
Back