Cold Calling Reluctance

It does seem to work for chit chatting with people and building false hopes. It doesn't seem to be getting sales results.

Maybe that's in chapter 2?

If a person can fill their day with direct mail and get a decent ROI, direct mail over cold calling is a no brainer. However, direct mail is not effective for every market or even most markets.

If a person can fill their day with direct mail and get a decent ROI, direct mail over cold calling is a no brainer. However, direct mail is not effective for every market or even most markets.

How would one "fill their day" with direct mail? Once the mailing is sent, there's downtime until responses come in. And I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark that even when responses do come in, it's not going to fill an 8 hour day. Sounds like a lot of room for both activities until an agent is off the ground.

Last edited:
Sigh, I do not think anyone has said cold calling is the most “effective” way to prospect. People only want to know if it will work and it looks as if the short answer is yes. What would be the most effective way to prospect; whatever it is, should we write off everything else because it is not as effective?

I'm new here but learning fast... you are spot on.. if these guys spent anywhere near as much time selling as they do trying to knock every one down, they would be millionaires.

I don't know how much M&M writes in a year but JD is not a Forum FE Whiz-kid. He writes 200K+ in premium. In five years he wrote 950K+ in premium with EFES. With his 100% contracts and his renewals he has earned well over 1 million in the last five years. JD doesn't need me to defend him but it is kind of comical when someone pops off with the comment if he would spend "anywhere near as much time selling as they do trying to knock every one down, they would be millionaires"when they (nor I) have come anywhere near accomplishing what he has. :yes:

Last edited:
Sigh, I do not think anyone has said cold calling is the most “effective” way to prospect. People only want to know if it will work and it looks as if the short answer is yes. What would be the most effective way to prospect; whatever it is, should we write off everything else because it is not as effective?

Exactly. Between doing nothing and doing something, I'd pick doing something over doing nothing.

Referrals are best, as are personal leads (those who look YOU up for your services).

Everything else is a sliding scale of effectiveness.

But if you have an hour, and you have nothing to do, and a blank calendar ahead of you... you should do something. Cold-calling, canvassing, networking... is all doing something, instead of nothing.

Anything will work... if you will.

The number one producer at Combined Worksite writes over 500k in AP per year. He only works 7 or 8 months per year and fishes the rest. To receive a grand diamond award, you have to write 50k in a 6 week span. He just received his 87th grand diamond last week. He told me one time that if he didnt fish and put his mind to it, he could write a million in one year. He's an effin superstar and I'm glad to say he is my mentor and my friend.

He does get some referrals at this point in his career, but the way he has built his business is cold walk ins. And he still does it. He walks in the door and asks for the owner. I would not have made it through my first year without his guidance. This guy is just oozing with confidence. I love hanging out with him. He has a very positive attitude and has been nothing but nice to me.

So until someone that is more successful than him comes along and tells me that you can't be successful from cold calling, what he tells me in my mind is the law.

The number one producer at Combined Worksite writes over 500k in AP per year. He only works 7 or 8 months per year and fishes the rest.

Man, The fishing there must be really bad. If he lived here he would only work 3 months out of the year max.:laugh:

He's in TN. Yeah, you're prolly right. I know he's eat up with it.

I was making light of a serious post. But here is the meat and potatoes of it,

"He walks in the door and asks for the owner. I would not have made it through my first year without his guidance. This guy is just oozing with confidence."

Why does he have this confidence?
How long did it take to develop?
What is his "mindset" when he enters the business?
Can you embrace, emulate and live these traits?

I was making light of a serious post. But here is the meat and potatoes of it,

"He walks in the door and asks for the owner. I would not have made it through my first year without his guidance. This guy is just oozing with confidence."

Why does he have this confidence?
How long did it take to develop?
What is his "mindset" when he enters the business?
Can you embrace, emulate and live these traits?

You're exactly right. That's what I do. I try to mirror his mentality. I'm nowhere near his level, but I can tell a big difference over the past year. I'm more fluid, more confident and I'm learning what to say and when to say it. That's why I'm targeting bigger groups now.

Back