• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Cold Calling Without a Gimmicky Script

If you don't want someone to take your tone the wrong way I'll make some suggestions in the spirit of helping YOU: don't insult or be rude, and stop making assumptions.

I was an award-winning salesperson in a field that involved nothing BUT cold-calling, and have been in sales in various aspects for years. However, I had training, where I went with someone first and watched them, then went with them and did it myself, then was on my own and excelled. Didn't matter what I sold, I could sell.

I have not had any training, and have found that a lot of people have your attitude -- they are smug, nasty, and not really wanting to help, but instead wanting to let everyone know how great they are by putting down newbies and anyone else they can.

That's why I did the "research", because I want to know how to do things effectively. I went to my company's brochure pages and how they recommended you use them. I've talked to other agents who have been around for 20+ years. And i used my own background knowledge of how best to work with people, and not just come in as a one-and-done salesperson, but someone who I intend to be working with for years to come.

If all you want to do is sell a product, you come in leading with that product (like I do when selling Med Supps). If you are building a relationship that will last, you let them tell you what their needs are first, THEN find the appropriate product that fits it. Apparently we are selling two different things, hence the disconnect.

When you say you are here to make money as one of your primary goals, that's the difference between us. Of course I want to make money (who doesn't?) and always have in sales. But my goal isn't to fleece someone and walk away. I knew a salesperson who bragged he would sell broken glass to a toddler if he could make money off it. And yes, THAT'S the type of salesperson I look down on. I admire my colleagues who are excellent salespeople, and got there by doing more listening than talking. There are lots of people on here who have been great at giving advice without grandstanding and are encouraging and happy to guide you if you're off track and you can tell they fall into the latter type. I'm afraid you come across as the former.

----------

LOL!! Maybe he's saying you're out of this world!

----------

I meant that last line from my previous post to go to you, Goillini!
He's saying you're out of this world! :-)

You have no idea what you are talking about but at least you are starting to realize it. That opening made me laugh out loud it was so bad. What in the hell would make you ever think that that opening would work? Stop doing "research." I can tell it is in your personality to do lots of "research" but you clearly do not know what you are doing so "research" but listen.

Either way, This has been one of the saddest threads I have ever seen. I would seriously consider getting a job that pays you. You obviously have a problem with being a sales(wo)man and bothering people. My guess is that you have always looked down on salespeople because you think that you and everyone else should just do "research" and shouldn't have to be "sold" anything.

You have used words and phrases that make it clear that you don't like sales and hate to be seen as a sales person.

My guess... is that keepgoing's issue isn't about talking to people... but in HOW to talk to people about the benefits of his services and the products he offers. The majority of companies and agencies don't train in this area. They assume that you can just "find the cases" and close them.

But if you listen to sales guru's like Brian Tracy, who states in Advanced Selling Techniques album that companies would rather "get into bed" with one company to provide ALL their needs, not just buy a product... or send out a proposal for a bidding war over one piece of business.

And in part of MY training, when I read Frank Rumbauskas's book on "Cold Calling is a waste of time"... he used that "learn about your business and partner with you" line... and was simply told to get out of his office unless he's an investor and had cash to offer.

So, what the agent needs... is a bunch of "sound bites". Small, but multiple phrases that can pique someone's curiosity about the work they do. After all, he's only getting to talk to 3 owners out of 20 doors walked into... so he needs to make those 3 conversations COUNT.

Now, you can either GUESS what is important to them... but I hate guessing.

You could just pitch ONE product... and assume that one product would have benefits that would be important to them... but I hate pitching.

Or, you can throw out a bunch of ideas at a time to show that you offer more than just "a product"... but multiple strategies.

What kinds of statements? Benefit & result statements!

Buy/sell: "I help you assure that you can sell your business for the right price and arrange for the financing of it today -whether you live or pass away early."

Key man: "I can help you secure at least a year's worth of profits in advance should one of your key employees pass away... so you can afford to take the time to find the right person to fill their role."

Exec comp: "and if they stay, you can turn this benefit into a golden-handcuff benefit to entice them to stay, instead of being your competition down the road."

Personal Business Owner Planning: "But all in all, what we do is help you use your BUSINESS checkbook to provide for your PERSONAL planning needs."

(I just made those up... and I've been sick for a couple of weeks, but you've got the general idea.)

Notice that it isn't "industry jargon" but using plain English to discuss your work and get the other person's attention to want to learn more about what you can do to help THEM.

You may not want to mention product, because they'll assume that all you want to do (and can do) is sell a product. You want to show that you have a more advanced mindset behind the strategy, than to just sell a product. If you loudly proclaim that "I'm a life insurance agent"... well, you may be positioning yourself as a person who has a bunch of watches in your trench coat to sell.

So, for every program/feature... learn how to phrase it as a benefit/result statement that can get someone's attention. That's how you EARN your 15-minute appointments. If you sound like everyone else... you'll be treated as everyone else was treated.

It still won't be "rejection free"... but you'll take the no's a lot better because you know that they know what they're saying 'no' to.

Since I have already walked into each company I'm calling, and have already handed them an overview of our products and my business card, I'm not considering what I'm doing 'cold calling'. I'm calling to follow up on the information I gave them, and set a time to come in and answer any questions.

but, haters gonna hate.

Hey, I Sucked at door-to-door candy sales in 9th grade! (My dad bought 98% anyway, he loved turtles!) I hated cold calling when I got interested in party-style (expensive)makeup. I had a young family then, 4 young'uns, hated spending time on the phone.

But - SO WHAT? Just because I stumbled and fell then, doesn't mean that now, 30 years later, 44 years later, I can't learn?

I refuse to sell myself as short as other's think I ought. :nah:

AFLAC has minimum employee participation requirements just to buy 1 policy~

yeah one's just not even worth it. We need at least 3 participants to open a group. Less than that, I thank them for their time and exit Stage Left. Like the guy and 1 friend who do window tinting, have 1 extra guy part time/prn. This just isn't the thing for them, and there's nothing wrong with that. Thanks, nice chattin with ya.

disgruntled employee there? Hey, I've had Aflac, when I worked on an ambulance crew, my brother uses it to make his house payments when he takes mornings off for chemo. Just because it isn't the right gig for you doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it. Step out. You're only in this thread to irritate and annoy and make your petty little point. I don't need your help, thanks for your time.

Back