Comparing Insurance Clusters (MGA's/Aggregators/Wholesalers)

After a year of deliberation on what I was going to do to get access to other markets, I just went with Iroquois Group. The main reasons are that they have access to the carriers I wanted, other options had limited markets or high fees (like SIAA). They are getting reps in my door who wouldn't look at me. In fact just had a meeting with a company who wouldn't even consider me direct because I did reach out to get direct appts. I know many will disagree, but so far so good. I am writing business with the carriers I wanted to work with and it is business that would have (most likely) otherwise walked out the door. The commission splits and profit sharing are pretty fair. Plus like 60-75% of my business was walking out the door (really), so I figure a split is better than nothing!
The non compete is what it is. You could roll the business to a carrier they don't have, I guess? I don't see how SIAA is any better. Who has gotten out of that contract?

But its a situation of the chicken and the egg. You are stunted for growth by your markets. But they want numbers to get a direct appt. How do you grow with only one carrier? And what if that relationship doesn't work out? It's ugly, I've seen it.

So like I said- so far so good. But I'm in NY. The rep is awesome and the carriers he's gotten in the door are pretty unbelievable. They know this market and write it at a competitive price.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, I am an agency owner in NV,and just adding P&C , can you give me some suggestions on wholesalers and clusters? Which one will be the best fit for a new start up agency consider the fees, services, carriers access?
Thank you in advance.
Yan

Back