Congress Looking at Limiting Medigap Options

so they put a $7500 moop on plans, it just changes the premium. Who wants to pay $7500 out of pocket? They'll opt for N plans then. Some people will still want F because they don't want to be bothered by co-pays and deductibles.

But really...Medicare is going bankrupt. The only logical scenario is to raise deductibles and drop the co-insurance paid by Medicare to 70%. You can raise the FICA to pay for the unfunded liabilities, but it will only pay a small portion.

I don't see the business disappearing anytime soon. There's millions of people that have been paying into the system for 20 to 35 years and expect something for that contribution. You can't yank it out from under them.

The only way the business changes is if there's a national health system put in place with no co-pays.

I wouldn't worry about it and I wouldn't worry about the change in payments in a lump sum to take care of patients rather than fee-for-service. I can't see a system where the beneficiary pays nothing. It's already been floated to increase the cost sharing in Plan F and C plans. There will always be a need for a Medigap policy since coverage will never be 100%.

so they put a $7500 moop on plans, it just changes the premium. Who wants to pay $7500 out of pocket? They'll opt for N plans then. Some people will still want F because they don't want to be bothered by co-pays and deductibles. But really...Medicare is going bankrupt. The only logical scenario is to raise deductibles and drop the co-insurance paid by Medicare to 70%. You can raise the FICA to pay for the unfunded liabilities, but it will only pay a small portion. I don't see the business disappearing anytime soon. There's millions of people that have been paying into the system for 20 to 35 years and expect something for that contribution. You can't yank it out from under them. The only way the business changes is if there's a national health system put in place with no co-pays. I wouldn't worry about it and I wouldn't worry about the change in payments in a lump sum to take care of patients rather than fee-for-service. I can't see a system where the beneficiary pays nothing. It's already been floated to increase the cost sharing in Plan F and C plans. There will always be a need for a Medigap policy since coverage will never be 100%.
if they put a 7500 moop on plans and combine med shop deductible the idea is that's it---no supps since they've limited your exposure.

Medicare itself is inherently 1st dollar benefits. The premium is also very much subsidized. The Gubment standardized plans to prevent big bad agents from taking advantage of poor helpless seniors.

They'll likely cut commissions then complain that no one knows wtf is going on or is able to help seniors navigate the system.

Anyone try to make a living selling high deductible F?

Regarding balancing the budget, all we need to do is cut our military offence budget in 1/2. Then we'd only be spending as much as the rest of the world combined - not twice as much as we are now. Of course we couldn't maintain a continual war but people might not hate us as much if we weren't on their turf blowing hit up.

Some would miss the money made fighting a war but the people making the money aren't the ones getting shot at or sending their kids to be shot at.

Last edited:
Medicare itself is inherently 1st dollar benefits. The premium is also very much subsidized. The Gubment standardized plans to prevent big bad agents from taking advantage of poor helpless seniors. They'll likely cut commissions then complain that no one knows wtf is going on or is able to help seniors navigate the system. Anyone try to make a living selling high deductible F?
The premium is subsidized by the Medicare payroll tax the beneficiary and employer have paid for their entire career. The $1260 Part A deductible per 60 day benefit period and Part B 20% coinsurance with no OOP max is not first-dollar coverage by any definition of the term. I expect most agents don't try to make a living on HDF because nearly no one wants it when the the additional cost of eliminating that $2K deductible is relatively low.

Racist................

You think his proposal is Racist? Hope you are kidding. If not, not really much that can be said to get you out of your Zombie state. You are kidding though, right?

----------

Doc fix, SGR, chained CPI, all these fancy ideas DC has for "fixing" broken programs won't work.

DC has been running SS for 80 years and still doesn't have it right.

They declared a war on poverty in 1964. How successful was that? We have more poor people (as a % of the population) than anytime since the Great Depression.

LBJ gave us Medicare in 1966. Almost 50 years of managing a health insurance program and it isn't right either.

Those guys would screw up a 1 car funeral procession.

You overlook welfare, food stamps, housing ......... all those great give away programs for able bodied people who mostly choose not to work.

Exactly, their are a ton of places that can be cut or trimmed. How about Congress and their retirement special programs. How about finding the 4 trillion dollars the pentagon misplaced? Anyone remember that one. No, our "Public Servants" are just going to keep hitting the people to serve theirselves.

Regarding balancing the budget, all we need to do is cut our military offence budget in 1/2.

The Arrogant One has already done a good job of that, along with forcing experienced officers to retire, supporting the Muslim uprising, giving away arms to terrorists and alienating our allies while making us a weaker nation.

Perhaps you should read the REAL news from time to time.

Back