Contestable Claim Paid

Got some good news from a client about a SIWL claim a few days ago. It was rather large for his age and for SI (too large to be considered FE). The man died 6 months into the new policy.

I had several conversations with the widow over several months. She was ready to throw in the towel, but with one hand behind my back fingers crossed, I told her to stay behind the med records request, and answer all of their letters, questions, etc. They had done a script check and phi at the time of sale, and he had gone over everything that he knew with them, even beyond what was asked, and the guy that did the interview was really good. I spoke to him, after my client, and He told me that he had recorded everything, and the policy was issued preferred anyway.

She got a check for the full amount plus interest, based on the issued (preferred) rate. I was prepared for them to offer her an adjusted amount based on a lower rate class.

Anyway, it wasn't my idea for him to babble his head off over the phone, but it was providential. I think since they issued it preferred, after what he told them, they were backed into a corner. I often pictured the transcript of the conversation being read in court and the outcome, and really didn't see how they could deny it. It was enough money to fight for, and I guess they figured they'd lose, and pay a lot more than the claim.

give credit where credit is due.. Give the name of the carrier. A good insurance company looks for reasons to pay the claim, not the other way around. What many people don't realize is they can get in trouble for paying claims that are no legitimate the same as they can get in trouble for not paying a claim they should pay. If a company were in the habit of paying claims that should be contested, it would weaken their financial standing as the policy has not been rated to include those claims. Contrary to much of the public's opinion, an insurance company is not just a bottomless pit of money.

give credit where credit is due.. Give the name of the carrier. A good insurance company looks for reasons to pay the claim, not the other way around. What many people don't realize is they can get in trouble for paying claims that are no legitimate the same as they can get in trouble for not paying a claim they should pay. If a company were in the habit of paying claims that should be contested, it would weaken their financial standing as the policy has not been rated to include those claims. Contrary to much of the public's opinion, an insurance company is not just a bottomless pit of money.

I agree. Claims being paid should be the norm. I have been very fortunate in almost 30 years of writing business I have not had a single contestable claim not paid.

I agree. Claims being paid should be the norm. I have been very fortunate in almost 30 years of writing business I have not had a single contestable claim not paid.

Wino, that tells me that you do a good job of field underwriting.

he had gone over everything that he knew with them, even beyond what was asked,

Arghhhhh. I hate clients like that.

Had one a few years ago that talked himself right out of a (health insurance) policy.

Interviewer - "Is there anything else we haven't discussed that might help us process your application"?

Applicant - "Well, I did pull my back a few months ago. I think I might have a herniated disc . . . ."

DECLINE

Had one a few years ago that talked himself right out of a (health insurance) policy.

Interviewer - "Is there anything else we haven't discussed that might help us process your application"?

Applicant - "Well, I did pull my back a few months ago. I think I might have a herniated disc . . . ."

DECLINE

What a dummy!!!!!!!!!!

DECLINE

Whenever I get ready to do a POS with a "talker", I tell them to be honest...but don't volunteer information, only answer the questions asked!:yes:

Whenever I get ready to do a POS with a "talker", I tell them to be honest...but don't volunteer information, only answer the questions asked!:yes:

You can tell them until you are blue in the face but if they are a "talker", sympathy seeker or a hypochondriac it will do no good.. They will spill their guts about all their fears and imaginary illnesses. I know folks that I absolutely do my best to avoid asking them, "How are you?"

Same here. I tell them it's not that I want you to withhold information but some things can be misinterpreted so just answer question and keep it short.

Back