Could Use Your Help with Prospecting....

Insurance_Dude

Hello,

Let me start by saying I'm so very thankful that this forum exists. I've searched and read through multiple threads. It's great to see insurance professionals willing to help one another.

I'm in the process of becoming a captive agent for a company. I've worked for an agent selling life and health insurance for the past 5 years. All of my leads came from working the agent's book of business.

As a captive agent, I will be required to sell all lines of insurance and financial services (P&C, Life, Health, LTC, etc.). I also have to have a certain amount of leads in order to stay in the program. This means getting the full contact info, current insurance company and coverages, so that I am able to quote them when I open my doors.

I really need help with prospecting. I started to make a list of everyone I know. I have more friends/acquaintances than I do family.

Like most people, I stay in touch with everyone via social media. So I decided to send a few messages to a couple of friends. I start off friendly, genuinely asking how they are. Then I start telling them about my new opportunity. I close the message asking if I could give them a quote on their insurance and see if I can save them money.

I'm not getting any responses back (not even a "no"). If anything, I think some people are avoiding me. I never want to come off as pushy.

So to summarize it, I'm looking for a good way to tell everyone I know that i'm going to be an insurance agent, and would like to give them a quote.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can do this without making people feel like they have to avoid me?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ask them for their help to practice what you do - which is preparing quotes.

Tell them that they don't have to buy anything from you... so they can let their guard down.

Using the word 'practice' helps to show that you're 'rehearsing'. In reality, we are all 'practitioners' and are constantly 'practicing' every day.

Now, once you have the quote, go back to them and just show it to them. Either it makes sense... or it doesn't.

Even if the DON'T buy... ask them how they felt about your process - asking questions and making sure that you fully understand their situation.

As long as it is positive, would they help introduce you to others that they know for the same quality of work that they experienced?

Ask them for their help to practice what you do - which is preparing quotes.

Tell them that they don't have to buy anything from you... so they can let their guard down.

Using the word 'practice' helps to show that you're 'rehearsing'. In reality, we are all 'practitioners' and are constantly 'practicing' every day.

Now, once you have the quote, go back to them and just show it to them. Either it makes sense... or it doesn't.

Even if the DON'T buy... ask them how they felt about your process - asking questions and making sure that you fully understand their situation.

As long as it is positive, would they help introduce you to others that they know for the same quality of work that they experienced?

DHK, Thanks for your input!

Since I posted this thread I recieved a few messages back. Unfortunately the responses have been that they currently have the same company or are working with a family friend and prefer not to switch.

I did get one positive repsonse however, the person is moving to another state next month and i'm only licensed in IL. :err:

So it seems some people are responding to my messages. DHK, a lot of the people on my list are acquantences that i've only met once or twice. It does look like i'm getting some responses from the word track I used. Would you recommend keep my same approach or tweak the worktrack a bit?

Thanks!

DHK,

Thanks for your input!

Since i've posted this thread, I recieved a few responses. It seems that people either have the same company or are working with a family friend and are not interested in switching.

I did get one person interested, however I learned they are moving to another state next month. I'm only licensed in IL:err:

So it seems that I am getting responses using my original message. DHK, a lot of the people on my list are acquantences that i've only met once or twice. Since I'm getting some responses from the message I am sending, do think I should keep the same approach and just tweak my wordtrack?

Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I forgot to add, I'll be opening an office in the next 6-12 months. So i'm just trying to get people to commit to me giving them a quote when I open.

Last edited:
First, getting licensed in other states isn't a big deal, nor should it be a major concern. Just check with your carriers.

If you're not ready to give quotes TODAY... then I would just be building a newsletter list and keep everyone in some kind of regular contact through good information.

I think that if you do this, you will show that you're serious about what you do and more people will be open to your calls and giving them a quote.

Please keep in mind that I'm primarily a Life/Annuities kind of guy and not in P&C.

The problem with our warm market is it dries up or your friends treat you like the guy in the groundhog movie. Grab a pad and pen and hit the street introduce yourself to local businesses get thier card ask for the business....I for some reason got the impression you are P&C so get when thier policy renews Xdating etc. Activity builds skills apps and will expand your base of people you know.

Sorry for such a late response...

Norwayguy, you hit the nail on the head! I never want to be that insurance sales man!!

As a Capitve Agent, I'm free to offer a line of different product lines (P&C, Life, Health, Bank, etc.) but only through one company.

I feel it's a lot easier to offer to quote P&C to start the relationship. So that's what I'm starting with.

I've decided to tread lightly with my friends and acquintances. Just letting them know about my new venture and offer to give them a quote when I open January 1st. If I don't get a response, I just leave them a lone. Sound Good?

Thanks NorwayGuy! You hit the nail on the head. I never want to be that type of insurance salesman. I realized I need to go easy on my warm leads (Friends & Acquintances).

I'm needing a lot more leads on my "Hot List". The problem I have, I'm still in training as a Captive Agent and unable to quote a policy or cold call until January 1, 2014.

To gather leads, this is what I have in mind:

1. Attend local networking events
2. Stop into local businesses (Norwayguy)
3. Stop into leasing offices of apartment complexes

I was going to introduce myself, leave them my business card (just a networking card with my info), and offer to quote their insurance when I start in January.

What do you think of this approach? Any other ideas of where I can get prospects despite my hurdles (unable to quote or cold call until January 1, 2014)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back