Cyber Monday Industry Deal

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
If carriers were allowed to offer "sales" or discounts on policies sold on days like Black Friday or Cyber Monday (suppose it is rebating and gift laws that prevent it?), do you think it would generate much interest among the throngs of uninsured or underinsured Americans?

Or would it be widely ignored/lost in the shuffle as consumers only get hyped up about great deals on "fun" things like HDTVs and other material items the shopping holidays are known for?

While the insurance industry traditionally doesn't have anything to offer on Cyber Monday, I did see that Marv Feldman over at industry association Life Happens is trying one this year aimed specifically at life insurance agents.

For 48 hours, Life Happens is cutting the price on an annual subscription to Life Happens Pro Plus, their full suite of marketing tools and resources that can be personalized, by 48%. Makes a year subscription $239 instead of $468 for anyone who upgrades by Nov. 30.

I have no ties to Life Happens - just spreading word in case anyone is interested. And it caught my eye on Cyber Monday to see any insurance-related deal as I've never noticed one before.

Cyber Special Lite Upgrade | Life Happens

If it would work, life insurance companies would already be doing it. I get deals for horsesmouth subscription, however a sale for term life insurance would never work. Here is why.

Most people need their hand holding to complete the process of applying for life insurance. The price going up 20% or going down 25% won't really change the demand for life insurance. You are giving incentives to someone who is indifferent.

However, incentives work for agents. Most agents produce more in June and December than any other months. Do you really think the need for life insurance fluctuates every 6 months? Now for incentives to work for agents, it just cant be one day. How many apps can I take on a single day. And if agents knew there would a sale, they would slow down taking apps from September on, or take apps and date them on the sale date. Can you imagine the number of lawsuits and disasters that could cause. However, we get incentives in the form of trips, make this level and you will get x,y and z.

Black Friday works for amazon because you are going to spend something anyway by Christmas so why not spend it now and save money.

Now for life insurance, you are going to die by Christmas anyway, buy on Black Friday and save 20% on the premium.

I prefer going to strangers funerals and leaving my card in people's pockets.

If carriers were allowed to offer "sales" or discounts on policies sold on days like Black Friday or Cyber Monday (suppose it is rebating and gift laws that prevent it?), do you think it would generate much interest among the throngs of uninsured or underinsured Americans?

Or would it be widely ignored/lost in the shuffle as consumers only get hyped up about great deals on "fun" things like HDTVs and other material items the shopping holidays are known for?

While the insurance industry traditionally doesn't have anything to offer on Cyber Monday, I did see that Marv Feldman over at industry association Life Happens is trying one this year aimed specifically at life insurance agents.

For 48 hours, Life Happens is cutting the price on an annual subscription to Life Happens Pro Plus, their full suite of marketing tools and resources that can be personalized, by 48%. Makes a year subscription $239 instead of $468 for anyone who upgrades by Nov. 30.

I have no ties to Life Happens - just spreading word in case anyone is interested. And it caught my eye on Cyber Monday to see any insurance-related deal as I've never noticed one before.

Cyber Special Lite Upgrade | Life Happens

There're other services aimed at agents for Cyber Monday. Jeff Root had a website sale for today only. Wix had one too. Lead sales and Vistaprint to name a few more.

I think it would help to small degree. Honestly, although there are regulatory issues with discounting insurance policies. It is really in everyones best interest to get more people's lives insured.

Back