Dental Insurance for Out-Of-Network Providers

Austin220

Many clients in Florida want to go to dental offices that accept dental insurance but are not in-network. Are there any Florida dental PPO or Indemnity plans that are worth signing up for just to see out-of-network providers?

Many clients in Florida want to go to dental offices that accept dental insurance but are not in-network. Are there any Florida dental PPO or Indemnity plans that are worth signing up for just to see out-of-network providers?
Caveat, not an agent.

What does " worth signing up for" mean to you?

Are these people currently without any kind of dental coverage?

Or do they currently have a plan and are looking for additional coverage.

Most dental policies take an approach to defining dental services as: Preventive; Basic; and Major. How soon after obtaining their new dental coverage are these people wanting to use it on Basic and Major dental services?

Are these people willing to make a long term commitment to paying premiums for the plan? Or are they just looking to buy some dental insurance, have some dental work done and then drop the insurance?

Also, what do you believe would be acceptable monthly premium levels to these people for obtaining this out of network coverage?

Caveat, not an agent.

If I was dealing with your question

I would be asking questions like those I listed above.

(Strictly Dental) Products I would be evaluating as a starting point would be:

My state's BCBS dental coverage.

My state's Delta Dental coverage.

UHC coverage, under 65 or 65 and older as appropriate.

Ameritas GPM coverage. Dental 2500 Network and Dental 2500. In looking at those two, take careful note of the way each computes payment for OON providers. (if the GPM premiums are too much, drop back to Ameritas Primestar (4 different plans).)

In my opinion, if one is buying dental insurance ONLY for out of network coverage, they are giving up a significant portion of the value of dental insurance. An alternative might be to stack a carrier with limited network such as Ameritas or UHC with a carrier with a broader network such as BCBS or Delta Dental (IF BCBS and Delta will credit the Ameritas or UHC coverage as coverage that will waive their waiting periods.)

In Kansas, for ACA dental to be purchased at the same time one was purchasing an ACA health plan, I recommended BestLife's dental coverage to someone a few years ago. I was concerned about in-network coverage at that time, I don't know how that carrier would pay out of network.

Manhattan Life. No network.

Caveat: most dental plans are a rip off for those who dont have regular dental issues. National average for a normal dental checkup is between $90-$120 depending on location. Often you can get a cash discount on that. Average price for a decent individual dental plan is around $30-$40. Even with an xray every 3 years, you are still just throwing away money.

Back