Did I Make a Mistake Going Back?

LGilmore

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just sent a cancelation order into Hometown quotes and am still steaming. Just started back up with them a few days ago. Had been with them for a few years a while ago and left not out of anger back then, but because the leads dried up in my area.

Why am I really pissed this time?

Just had two latinamerican leads that could barely speak english who were contacted by somebody eariler this week who was doing a "survey" who datamined enough information (except for correct email addresses) to submit these today as fresh life leads. Both of which HTQ will not credit for. Which means I am cancelling immediately.

While not only unethical, this is balantly RACIST. I won't be a part of any organization that preys on any minority group, attempting to take advantage of their lack of understanding the language.

Alot of lead companies resort to phone surveys, email surveys, and email marketing to drive "leads" back to their websites. Because the lead went to their website to complete the survey it can be called an Internet lead. The obvious problem with this is when a lead is approached by these methods they (the "prospect") are not usually in a buying mode. They are typically just curious or bored which obviously leads to loer close ratios. Most lead companies will drop integrity for profits as they grow.

In this case, the "leads" didn't do anything but talk to someone on the phone who was questioning about everything. the "leads" did nothing to make the lead other than answer general questions a few days ago. Neither had the correct email address. One didn't know what an email address was.

Both were very polite and nice people. It was extremely clear they were rubes in somebody else's misdeed. Information taken under false pretenses from people who did not have a clear understanding of why they were answering questions or what is for or how it was going to be used.

right now I am torn as I am thinking of contacting the AG. HTQ was so quick (5 seconds) to decline my credit request I have to wonder if they generated this, rather than an affiliate. With another credit request (shut off phone) they sent back they were going to check first. So my ire is they were so quick to turn down the credit for people who didn't know somebody put their information in there vs. a bad phone number. Just made it fishy. More to learn tomorrow as I was pretty hard about it. Still angry that anybody would do this as I think it is low, both to agents and the people they used to generate the quotes.

Not only should you report it to the AG, but you should contest the credit card payment. Yes, I know you will probably lose, but merchant services vendors don't like a lot contested payments. If agents would contest more of the payments to these dishonest vendors, maybe the message would sink in.

Not only should you report it to the AG, but you should contest the credit card payment. Yes, I know you will probably lose, but merchant services vendors don't like a lot contested payments. If agents would contest more of the payments to these dishonest vendors, maybe the message would sink in.

Not a bad idea... maybe we should refuse to pay by credit card and just pay by check instead, its easier to stop payment on a check than it is to contest credit card payments

All of the leads weren't this way. I did receive some that checked out OK. I'm down a 100 bucks. I have dropped my zips to one and begun the process of termination. A 100 bucks stings a bit, but it also reminds me to be a bit more skeptical in the future.

I had an account with HTQ before for about 3-4 years and it was fine back then. They were Ok to work with. I closed it out because the last nine months generated 2 leads. I left then, not angry but disappointed they weren't producing more. I left the first time on a friendly basis. I came back thinking things would be the same, except maybe more leads. Well, I did get half that thought. I received more leads, but they weren't really leads. I realized I made a mistake as what HTQ was a few years ago is not what they are now.

Ethics are important to me, and while maybe others might disagree, I think data mining ethnic groups because of their limited understanding of English is wrong. I just want no part of it, nor any part of a company that from appearances, condones this as a legit method of doing business. It simply is a fine or lawsuit waiting to happen. I want as far away from that as possible.

Not a bad idea... maybe we should refuse to pay by credit card and just pay by check instead, its easier to stop payment on a check than it is to contest credit card payments

Never give out checking account info.

Then someone has access to your routing and checking account #
:skeptical:

Had a long conversation today. I will give them another shot. Their automated system kicked in. They advised me to check not within parameters and it would generate a person review. Also, they didn't generate. they credited and then some.

We'll see. I'll kick on next week and go from there. Hopefully, it was just an odd ball occurrance.
We'll see.

Never give out checking account info.

Then someone has access to your routing and checking account #
:skeptical:

Anybody can get this from your discarded checks in the trash. They still have to get past the bank.... There they need an authorized signature for ACH on file to get to your funds. Don't be so paranoid.

Back