Dilemma. Newly Licensed. Need Advice

twittek

In the state of Florida. Got my license in June with the understanding that I was going to work for an Agency out of Pennsylvania that was looking to expand into the Florida market. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to get in on the ground floor. What I didn't understand when I signed up for the state licensing class was the lack of preparation for becoming an agent and the need for a great mentor. The class, as some of you may know, just teaches you how to pass the state exam. The agent in PA keeps telling me to be patient but it's been 4 months and I have yet to start. I'm starting to feel as if he is not the best way to learn this biz. I have been up to his office once for 3 days and he has been down here once for 4 days. He is a snow bird but won't be down for the winter until November. I'm not feeling any progress. I have voiced my opinion several times, but he keeps telling me to be patient. I ask for resources to learn and he tells me just go on the internet, read and learn a few hours a day. Do I jump ship? Does anyone have a road map? Step 1, do this. Step 2, do this.

----------

I have a business background and would like to focus mainly on commercial lines.

I'm some what in the same position as you are. My situation is that, I do the cold calling and get prospects and collect their information and pretty much all I have being doing is turning over the information to the other agent. She doesn't show me how to look up the policies or anything like that. Makes me second guess if this is the best place to learn but I'm being patient with her to the end of this month. If nothing happens at the end of the month, I will look elsewhere for training. I hope things get better for you.

I just met with a company, the one with the Duck, lol. I'm thinking about making a career change and so far it looks pretty good. Getting licensed seems pretty easy and they have a self paced process I can do at home. I'll also work with a mentor and see how and what they do when they enter businesses. Having worked in sales for many years, I can only suggest that you listen to your heart and the faith part in me says you might want to sit down and pray or meditate on it. Working in the insurance industry is totally about the numbers. The more you want to make the more people you need to talk to. You also need to believe in what your selling. If you don't believe in your product, the customer will feel that and odds are your going to have a tuff time selling it. Hope this helps. God Bless and Good Health

I just met with a company, the one with the Duck, lol. I'm thinking about making a career change and so far it looks pretty good. Getting licensed seems pretty easy and they have a self paced process I can do at home. I'll also work with a mentor and see how and what they do when they enter businesses. Having worked in sales for many years, I can only suggest that you listen to your heart and the faith part in me says you might want to sit down and pray or meditate on it. Working in the insurance industry is totally about the numbers. The more you want to make the more people you need to talk to. You also need to believe in what your selling. If you don't believe in your product, the customer will feel that and odds are your going to have a tuff time selling it. Hope this helps. God Bless and Good Health

Working for the Duck! :swoon::no::err:

I just got my P&C license and I'm in the process of opening my own agency. I already a member of wholesale Broker (Appalachian Underwriters) which will provide most of the carriers that I need but it is very difficult to find an insurance carrier to appoint me. I need to have at least one appointment in order to get my agency license. I'm located in West Palm Beach Florida. If anyone knows any insurance carrier that will appoint new agents in Florida please let me know. I tried Progressive, and some others when they check my license in the state database it shows that I have no current appointment therefore they denied my application.

I would recommend that new P&C agents look into joining a network or cluster to get access to multiple markets.

Some of them can also provide support to new agents and help them learn the business.

Yes and franchises should also be explored. There are some good ones out there in many States but due-diligence is critical, as with any insurance network, group, cluster or franchise.

I would recommend that new P&C agents look into joining a network or cluster to get access to multiple markets.

Some of them can also provide support to new agents and help them learn the business.

Change the office, try a new place. Might be that at new office people will teach you and help you learn new things. But before changing make sure that at the new office the things are not the same as old (The snow bird you know).

Back