Direct Mail -BRCs

retread

Guru
1000 Post Club
Kansas
I just began receiving lead responses from a BRC campaign from a new lead vendor. I immediately complained that there are no phone numbers on the cards when I specifically asked for "phones only". I was told that "phones only" was not one of the filters they offered. I went back to their order page, and sure enough, I had carried over that filter from another vendor.

Now my question to you experienced agents, "How is your success rate at writing letters of introduction to BRCs that do not list their phone number? Is it a waste of $$$/time, or is the response rate high? I am already looking at a 1% response from the BRCs... what are my odds that this 1% will respond to the second attempt?

BRC?
ne_nau.gif

I just began receiving lead responses from a BRC campaign from a new lead vendor. I immediately complained that there are no phone numbers on the cards when I specifically asked for "phones only". I was told that "phones only" was not one of the filters they offered. I went back to their order page, and sure enough, I had carried over that filter from another vendor.

Now my question to you experienced agents, "How is your success rate at writing letters of introduction to BRCs that do not list their phone number? Is it a waste of $$$/time, or is the response rate high? I am already looking at a 1% response from the BRCs... what are my odds that this 1% will respond to the second attempt?

I'd say its a waste of time to write the letter, I have done that before, but that was for LTC responses.

I've never called a BRC unless I just couldn't find the house. I just show up, smile, card in hand, sell.

Been there, done that. But that was a long time ago in a distant galaxy (before CMS).

BTW... this is for an MA campaign. This is the AEP, after all. The good thing is that this is the start and I have time to send a letter. It would be futile the last of December, but now I am very busy and want to know where to vest my time.

Last edited:
Even if it is MA is it cold calling if they sent you a response card. I'd view that as an invitation.

It has been made clear (exactly where I can't remember... getting more senior moments these days) that a BRC response is NOT an invitation to show up at the door. It does allow a phone contact to set an appointment.

CMS set this up last year. The only way to contact seniors is through snail mail. No email, no phone calls, no door knocking, no casual meetings in public, etc. UNLESS you get them to contact you first. CMS put their blessings on BRCs as a means to obtain that permission to call for an appointment with the caveat that the BRC be CMS approved.

I use a generic BRC that does not mention specific carriers or health plans. It is therefore compliant. If I want to hawk a specific plan, it has to be on that carrier's approved sales material. I refuse to market for carriers at my expense. If they pay for the lead drop, I will use them. If not, I use my own, and sell whatever I think fits the client best. I am sure all independents operate in this manner, or if they don't, should.

edit for additional comment:
The problem with using a carrier/CMS approved sales piece is that even if they customize it for you with your name and phone number, it will still have the ADA TDD number, and often the carrier Customer Service number. Even if only your contact info is on the form, when they send it back, it goes into the carrier lead list... and if you pay for the postage, you are subsidizing their lead program. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Back