Direct Mail Response Rate?

Lot of variables and volatility. 0.5%-3% depending on the mailer, product, etc.

interesting do you see better response rates in certain states? having never done any kind of direct mail before I would imagine Florida will be one of the worst states for that kind of marketing

only experience I had with direct mail was just as a manager with the Imperial Majesty phone rooms, and they claimed a 1% response rate....... might have to do with the $1300 fake check or the fake free cruise offer.. aahhh the good ol' days :biggrin:

Last edited:
interesting do you see better response rates in certain states? having never done any kind of direct mail before I would imagine Florida will be one of the worst states for that kind of marketing

Marketing is always different everywhere.

I'm being a little facetious with that, but state to state things are different. Heck, the same DM piece can work differently from county to county even if everything else was the same.

E TX here. Anyone mailing this area. I saw where one lead source was listing thils area as one half per cent response rate, while other areas responded up tp 6 times better? Can anyone confirm or deny that that is typical of TX?

Marketing is always different everywhere.

I'm being a little facetious with that, but state to state things are different. Heck, the same DM piece can work differently from county to county even if everything else was the same.

Results could be different each time you mailed the same demos as well...

I was just curious as what to expect with insurance.

Josh is dead on, but I'll expound- there are lots of variables on that one. Do a well written college planning mailer to high school juniors and its sky high, do a standard FE mailer, somewhere around .5-1.5%. Direct response folks usually expect those kind of numbers.

So much depends on your list and message, it has to be targeted right. If you mail that FE mailer to parents of those college kids, 0% response. There are also variables you cant control, like mailing behind someone that just made the same offer, etc.

Rural generally gets better response than urban areas.

I was doing some medicare mailers in my area and I was under .5%, while other parts of the country were doing well over 10% with the same piece.

In any marketing you've got to test, test, test.

I used to do a lot of "lumpy mail" in my real estate business, putting something in the envelope like candy or aspirin or something. Increased response rate, but more trouble and cost.

With an insurance mailer, .5-1.5% is probably a good range to use when budgeting.

E TX here. Anyone mailing this area. I saw where one lead source was listing thils area as one half per cent response rate, while other areas responded up tp 6 times better? Can anyone confirm or deny that that is typical of TX?

I work with agents in Texas and they all say mailers are a bad investment because the return is 1%.

Back