DM for T65's/Med Supps And Med Adv

Because with reputable and reliable referral sources come regular qualified candidates. You being on the other end of a somewhat misleading and sleezy, even desperate appearing mailer trick kind of puts you at a disadvantage and makes the process more difficult. When I was new I was talked into it by my FMO at the time, and the numbers generally do make sense. I actually had a very good response to the mailer, like 3.4% I recall which was a LOT compared to normal returns. I did make calls and did get some sales at the end of the day and it did more than pay for itself. But honestly, I hated it. Never liked cold calling. Guess what? People don't like it either. I also found out that you get the entire slice of the population. Back then it wasn't so bad, I wanted to and needed to make sales. Of all types. Medicare and Medicaid. I am more choosy who I do business with now. I prefer not to feel like I need or have to take a handgun on sales calls. From quality clients come quality referrals. I don't know too many affluent people willing to complete a mailer BRC.

And that's why it didn't work that well for you. I'm glad most agents don't think about mailers the same as you do. I'm also betting that you do actually have time to run leads and do the referrals as well, but the leads will never work for you unless you work them differently than you did before. Just reading between the lines I'm guessing you were blowing a lot of sales on those cards because you didn't know how to work them.

I'm guessing you were blowing a lot of sales on those cards because you didn't know how to work them.

Newish agent here (8 months in) I'm thinking of dropping around 1k mailers a month this ROY. Todd, could you give some bullet points on what you consider "how to work" leads?

Thanks

You work leads, any leads, by giving useful information and therefore creating value. Something they cannot get anywhere else.

If you do otherwise you are just wasting your time as well as that of your prospect.

Newish agent here (8 months in) I'm thinking of dropping around 1k mailers a month this ROY. Todd, could you give some bullet points on what you consider "how to work" leads?

Thanks

I think it'll depend on the market and the lead card. For example, I'd work a T65 lead card 7 months out differently than I would work a T65 lead card that came in 2.5 months out.

A 68+ lead card gets worked differently altogether again (with a real AOR opportunity).

Many agents don't really believe in following up. I do. Especially for a brand new agent who needs to eat tomorrow.

Even if it's a soft follow up (a postcard 1 week later.... 3 weeks later... and 5 weeks later... and another 8 weeks later)... you need to be the one that they think about when they finally sit down to make their decision.

And the follow up isn't begging for a sale. It should provide value. Give medicare tips. Make it interesting - I have one follow up postcard that says, "Jim! I don't know if I gave you my cell yet - but here it is. Feel free to text me if you have a quick question about Medicare or want to set up a time to talk."

Another letter can be something as simple as a letter - a quick rundown of parts A, B, C, and D. Sure, they are a "lead" and you want to talk to them... but with everyone in the Philippines calling every other hour... why would they take your call? You're just the guy who got a lead card... that doesn't mean they've connected the dots and actually are waiting for you to call them back.

A follow up is just a drip... but several drips will lead to a client.

That ^ is different than, "Jim, just following up, do you have any new questions? I'm the bestest best agent out there - with a whole 8 months experience (snore)"

Rambled a bit there... my apologies...

Thanks

As SShafran has eluded to, work the leads and do follow ups. Keep up with that. Don't miss call-backs etc. Also, try not to get into too much over the phone with them right now. Maybe after you have some good experience you'll be able to qualify them more over the phone. For now though, just try to set the appointment. You need to see as many people as you can to gain the experience. Be careful of one-leggers, of course.

When you are in the house and you've sold them (say a Med Supp), don't forget to check for the possibilities of a cross-sell (FE, etc).

Back