DM for T65's/Med Supps And Med Adv

AEP is not a "selling season" to us...So much less stressful going about the business this way than thinking you need to write 100-200 new apps just because it's AEP. It's always been about doing the right thing for the client...
I’m always curious about where other agents draw that line. At what size BoB does one stop actively selling during AEP and shift to solely servicing clients (understanding that sales will still come after the shift). I haven’t reached that point. I seriously consider it right after each exhausting AEP, but as Oct. approaches I find it hard to resist the urge to make as much hay as possible when that AEP sun is shining.

I’m always curious about where other agents draw that line. At what size BoB does one stop actively selling during AEP and shift to solely servicing clients (understanding that sales will still come after the shift). I haven’t reached that point. I seriously consider it right after each exhausting AEP, but as Oct. approaches I find it hard to resist the urge to make as much hay as possible when that AEP sun is shining.
From what I have read here, one important factor in determining that breakpoint is how an agent or agency chooses to handle the customer service bulge required by PDP plans during AEP.

Again, just from reading, it seems to me like there is some point beyond 500 MedSupps-which will vary by agent--beyond which one is not going to be able to go without some type of plan for PDP service help during AEP.

Last edited:
At what size BoB does one stop actively selling during AEP and shift to solely servicing clients (understanding that sales will still come after the shift). I haven’t reached that point. I seriously consider it right after each exhausting AEP, but as Oct. approaches I find it hard to resist the urge to make as much hay as possible when that AEP sun is shining.

Everyone has a different criteria. For some, the tipping point is $$$, for others it is a matter of how thin you can be stretched. It also can be a combination.

Nothing wrong with making more $$$. But when will I have the time to spend it?

More important, at least to me, is family time.

I still have the drive and still work 15+ hour days almost every day during AEP but I also get to a point right before Thanksgiving where I stop taking calls (except from referrals) and I refuse to take apps after Thanksgiving for 1/1 eff dates if they have to be underwritten.

I literally tell them to call back next September.

Just don't need that much drama in my life.

There are guys and gals on this forum that earn more than I do but so what?

I am older than most of you (rousemark excepted) and have different needs and goals. I wrote more apps this AEP than in the past but 2/3 were rewrites of existing clients. Not how I wanted to do but you take what life gives you

Since I was turning down business while some of you were still going strong, I guess that answers at least part of your question.

From day 1, I have "serviced" the clients during AEP. All of them are expecting an email in late September requesting the updated drug list, then a second email on Oct 1, with a link to schedule a phone appt. We do a drug plan review and talk about whats going on in the Medicare world. ("Did you know new ID numbers are starting to rollout in April.") Everybody gets 30 minutes, most couples are done in 30 minutes. Some people just want email and that's fine, too. I keep the drug list IDs in their file, so that helps minimize the time required.

Once they move on the spreadsheet to "done", they get a thank you card. I'm convinced the TY card is the best marketing you can possibly do. I had more than 50 new clients in AEP and I do zero marketing. Its all referral based. My biggest problem is that I am still doing Medicare 101s in the middle of AEP for the Spring T65s, but you have to keep the top of the funnel full!

Bottom line, you don't want your clients talking to anyone else. Period. They can ignore all the calls and mail, because they know they will be talking to you.

From day 1, I have "serviced" the clients during AEP. All of them are expecting an email in late September requesting the updated drug list, then a second email on Oct 1, with a link to schedule a phone appt. We do a drug plan review and talk about whats going on in the Medicare world. ("Did you know new ID numbers are starting to rollout in April.") Everybody gets 30 minutes, most couples are done in 30 minutes. Some people just want email and that's fine, too. I keep the drug list IDs in their file, so that helps minimize the time required.

Once they move on the spreadsheet to "done", they get a thank you card. I'm convinced the TY card is the best marketing you can possibly do. I had more than 50 new clients in AEP and I do zero marketing. Its all referral based. My biggest problem is that I am still doing Medicare 101s in the middle of AEP for the Spring T65s, but you have to keep the top of the funnel full!

Bottom line, you don't want your clients talking to anyone else. Period. They can ignore all the calls and mail, because they know they will be talking to you.
(if this is an inappropriate question and you wish me to delete it-pm me and I will do so.)

Your business and things you have shared about it are one of the examples that were in my mind when I made my post above. If I am remembering correctly, you have had a temporary "volunteer" during AEP for some time to expand your customer service capability. Did you make the switch to hiring a full time employee this year?

(if this is an inappropriate question and you wish me to delete it-pm me and I will do so.)

Your business and things you have shared about it are one of the examples that were in my mind when I made my post above. If I am remembering correctly, you have had a temporary "volunteer" during AEP for some time to expand your customer service capability. Did you make the switch to hiring a full time employee this year?

I now have 3 PT'ers. 2 of which are related to me :)

However, after I recover from the 4th quarter beating (I've doing this since I was 22. Its NEVER been this bad), I need to figure out what to do next year. I don't need FT help 9 out of 12 months. I need FT help from Oct 15 to Dec 15, someone to answer the phone and emails. So I need to start planning now.

Back