DM Responders Question

How is selling a medicare policy a better lead into talking about annuities than helping them with their social security concerns, taxes, and pointing out issues on their tax return, for free?

Let me define better for you in that context: You have already sold them a policy so trust has already been established. Medicare is cheaper to prospect for than Annuities, and its easier to convince someone to save 300-1800 a year than to roll-over any funds into an annuity.

Also during the medicare presentation you can illustrate the difference between covered nursing home coverage (rehabilitative) versus long term care. Any long term care conversation will touch upon the amount of assets at risk. After you have talked to them about ltci, you should have an idea about assets, to transition to a conversation about income planning or annuities.

That's what he meant when he said better

Last edited:
Let me define better for you in that context: You have already sold them a policy so trust has already been established. Medicare is cheaper to prospect for than Annuities, and its easier to convince someone to save 300-1800 a year than to roll-over any funds into an annuity.

Also during the medicare presentation you can illustrate the difference between covered nursing home coverage (rehabilitative) versus long term care. Any long term care conversation will touch upon the amount of assets at risk. After you have talked to them about ltci, you should have an idea about assets to transition a talk about income planning or annuities.

That's exactly what I mean.

Also during the medicare presentation you can illustrate the difference between covered nursing home coverage (rehabilitative) versus long term care. Any long term care conversation will touch upon the amount of assets at risk. After you have talked to them about ltci, you should have an idea about assets, to transition to a conversation about income planning or annuities.

I received 2% return for annuity leads, some people I know consistently get higher. The cost was 490 per thousand, without going to the cheapest. Hardly more expensive.

How is trust established AFTER a sale is made, did they not trust you before they purchased the medicare? If anything, there's more trust if you address their concerns for free. Social security issues and taxation questions provides the opportunity to 'cross-sell' for those willing to help provide answers for free. You don't address a social security question with look at this annuity.

Yes medicare and FE are substantially easier to convince to buy (with far lower paydays), so if that's the route it's a good one too. But if he's asking about the most efficient way to prospect annuities, I disagree. I think it's pretty obvious though after the second reply and change of direction when the answer exceeded the motivation :idea: that he's much more interested in discovering the easiest thing to sell. That's fine too though, many ways to paydays. Also, annuities are best targeted in the 40-100k middle america market, not high net worth. Brokers that make dm work for other investments such as munis are targeting 250k+ incomes.

Last edited:
I received 2% return for annuity leads, some people I know consistently get higher. The cost was 490 per thousand, without going to the cheapest. Hardly more expensive.

How is trust established AFTER a sale is made, did they not trust you before they purchased the medicare? If anything, there's more trust if you address their concerns for free. Social security issues and taxation questions provides the opportunity to 'cross-sell' for those willing to help provide answers for free. You don't address a social security question with look at this annuity.

Yes medicare and FE are substantially easier to convince to buy (with far lower paydays), so if that's the route it's a good one too. But if he's asking about the most efficient way to prospect annuities, I disagree. I think it's pretty obvious though after the second reply and change of direction when the answer exceeded the motivation :idea: that he's much more interested in discovering the easiest thing to sell. That's fine too though, many ways to paydays. Also, annuities are best targeted in the 40-100k middle america market, not high net worth. Brokers that make dm work for other investments such as munis are targeting 250k+ incomes.

I'm not looking for the easiest way...rather ways to not waste money learning from guys that have done this longer than me.
My original post was focused on whether or not using DM focused on New Govt Changes Impacting Seniors is best way to go...or use something more specific. So far, leads generated from this mailer have been as clueless as FE responders...i know it's my job to convert lead into prospects..which is one of tge reasons I posted. Give me some input on how to work this type of mailer.

I'm not looking for the easiest way...rather ways to not waste money learning from guys that have done this longer than me.
My original post was focused on whether or not using DM focused on New Govt Changes Impacting Seniors is best way to go...or use something more specific. So far, leads generated from this mailer have been as clueless as FE responders...i know it's my job to convert lead into prospects..which is one of tge reasons I posted. Give me some input on how to work this type of mailer.

or better yet, what is his direct mail that gets 2% and converts?

Ok I see what the problem is. You should work whatever is on the lead card. Since yours is New Govt Changes, that should be what you should presenting. Just like if you send a med sup or fe mailer looking to cross sell annuities, you should be prepared to first present a fe or med sup policy. With that said, the cross selling idea others brought up might be better for you right now since sales can come more frequently and you probably are more familiar with them.

Latest posts

Back