Do you sell Med Sups, MAPD, or both?

Do you prefer to sell Med Sup or MAPD?

• Total voters
Todd, I'm not specifically targeting Med Supp beneficiaries otherwise your point is spot on! Most of the agents I work with are in Final Expense and I teach them how to compliantly sell all the Medicare products including MA and Supps. I personally prefer the Med Supp as the go to option, but many times it just doesn't make sense due to age, income etc.
I used to sellfexpensenowsepuropos
Todd, I'm not specifically targeting Med Supp beneficiaries otherwise your point is spot on! Most of the agents I work with are in Final Expense and I teach them how to compliantly sell all the Medicare products including MA and Supps. I personally prefer the Med Supp as the go to option, but many times it just doesn't make sense due to age, income etc.
I used to sell final expense but now only sell Med Supps. Agents who concentrate in the FE market I don't think will be able to successfully cross-sell Medicare Supplements. I'm not knocking FE agents but the low-income level for a lot of FE prospects is not where you will find a lot of Med Supp prospects.

I used to sell final expense but now only sell Med Supps. Agents who concentrate in the FE market I don't think will be able to successfully cross-sell Medicare Supplements. I'm not knocking FE agents but the low-income level for a lot of FE prospects is not where you will find a lot of Med Supp prospects.

First: This point has been made many times in forum posts. AND, I think it is important to note that springbok is not disagreeing with it. He used the term low hanging fruit. So even if the beginning FE salesperson only gets one MedSupp a day in addition to FE sales, they have a small additional return on their lead costs. I think it is also relevant to note that a sucessful MedSupp salesperson has noted in forum posts that they generally go after the low hanging fruit in that market, so I don't see that ("get low hanging fruit") being an invalid philosophy.

Second: Springbok's comment is not being fully appreciated. He talked about helping FE sales people learn about cross selling into the Medicare market, not just the medsupp market. He had two posts that SPECIFICALLY mentioned MA plans as well as MedSupp plans.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the discussions in the forum in the fall of 2016 in regard to MAPD plans indicated they were undesirable because of high deductibles or out of pocket costs and network limitations. Are those constraints starting to change now?

(and you and another agent have also continually reminded me to remember that Florida is a little different than most of the rest of the country in regard to Medicare insurance.)

I’ve never seen a deductible for in network services. It’s just not around. Anywhere.

Florida and several other states do have better benefits than other states because we have higher claims here. So they get more money.

Out of pocket cost maximums in my area are $3,200 - $6,700. With my most common plan at $3,400. Hardly bankrupt crippling.

First: This point has been made many times in forum posts. AND, I think it is important to note that springbok is not disagreeing with it. He used the term low hanging fruit. So even if the beginning FE salesperson only gets one MedSupp a day in addition to FE sales, they have a small additional return on their lead costs. I think it is also relevant to note that a sucessful MedSupp salesperson has noted in forum posts that they generally go after the low hanging fruit in that market, so I don't see that ("get low hanging fruit") being an invalid philosophy.

Second: Springbok's comment is not being fully appreciated. He talked about helping FE sales people learn about cross selling into the Medicare market, not just the medsupp market. He had two posts that SPECIFICALLY mentioned MA plans as well as MedSupp plans.

The difrence in FL and some other areas is the Med supp is higher priced and there are Many MA's with lower out of pocket then most states and some of MA's have strong networks, Plus seniors in FL are inundated with MA commercials, And sales events besides everyone they know have MA. Worse most think there MA is a med supp.

I have sold enough med supp in fl but I have also sold plenty MA in FL

I have been off the forum for a little while. Have you decided to get lic yet?

I can certainly see why you are well loved and respected on this forum.

Back