Does Anyone Successfully Telemarket Insurance From Cold Call to Close

Dan,
Great post.......This (I believe) is exactly how it works.

The variable, is knowing which numbers to track and which numbers are a waist of time. Also, understanding which of these are percentages that you have some control over and how to motivate those to a positive response.

I personally believe that you can control every aspect of a tracked action. But, the only way to be completely acurate is to understand where and how the numbers where created.

So, how is this done? I have always used two rules of thumb.

1. You have to give the numbers enough time to be acurate.

Track an action for a week and then again for another. If the results are the same - these may be your magic numbers. If the results are different, then you are not done. You have to continue until they fall into some sort of pattern. Once this happens (no matter how long it takes) you can decide where to go from there. Personally I would give any activity at least 30 days to fall into its natural rhythm.

2. consistent activity is the key

(time of day, language, approach, type of market, lead source, amount of activity, etc...). This can not be adjusted during the initial stages of your project and changing anything will be detrimental to acurate tracking. We have all heard that with any data base if you put crap in you will get crap out. Changing your activity is the worst thing that you can possibly do to mess up your data.

After your initial data, the sky is the limit. You adjust your approach based on what number ratio needs to improve. While always keeping the two rules of thumb in play. It can be almost like a game.

Winner takes home all the chips!!!

Re: Does Anyone Successfully Telemarket Insurance From Cold Call

I don't understand why you don't want to meet the clients. That to me is one of the really fun parts of the business. While I write a fair amount of life and some health in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, I much prefer to write local people so I can visit with them.

I think it's harder for a client to create a trusting relationship with you on the phone than in person.

Take today. The client would have done the app on the computer and we could exchange emails and voice. But I really wanted to meet the family... and Saturday afternoon was the only time they could do it. Fine.

I made the sale, but more importantly I made a friend. We found we had a lot of common interests and the four of us plan to get together for dinner soon. I also found out that the wife was a past president of chamber, a past president of rotary, and is on the board of several charities as well as Mercy Hospital.

In short, she knows a lot of the people I know... and a lot of people I want to get to know. None of this would have happened over the phone as opposed to sitting around the table with my laptop, her coffee, and the Atlanta, Arizona game on in the background which both the husband and myself were checking on while discussing their case.

Product knowledge is important, but so is good in-person sales and social skills. You can't develop those from a book or by reading this board. If you want to learn how to swim, you have to get in the water!

Perhaps on your next visit you can discuss the evil health insurance CEO's over Crème brûlée?
God what a Putz.

Last edited:

Perhaps on your next visit you can discuss the evil health insurance CEO's over Crème brûlée?
God what a Putz.

I realize that Al on occasion goes over the top a bit and struggles with some conspiracy theory tendencies, but your message seems out of line.

Al made some great points on face to face versus phone sales, and I think for newer agents it was very beneficial.

Maybe have another coffee or something...

Allot of good info here.

Can anyone make suggestions of what to include/not inlcude in Cold Calling scripts? I know people can be very protective of their call scripts and I'm just looking for some advice.

I've worked with allot of Net leads and already Telemarketed leads, But I'm looking into getting business lists etc to start cold calling.

I'm also looking into calling seniors directly for Medicare Sups.

Any advice on the transition and what to further expect or not expect that isn't already included ain this post would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Again, I dont expect you to share your scripts (unless you really want to :)

Thanks guys,
(\/)ilo

Back