Does "C-pap" Count As Oxygen Use?

I think you're trying to make a cpap machine into something it's not. While not compressed air, it compresses air and pushes into the person.

Sleep apnea leads to so many other illnesses that I would imagine it will be a tough sale. But certainly ask. the problem is 50% of the people who are supposed to use a cpap machine quite before a year is up.
If someone has sleep apnea they better use it every night for the rest of their life..... if they want to live. I lost a buddy because he didn't buy the machine, 2500 bucks cost him his life.

On many of the FE carriers, use of oxygen is a knockout question. when I think of really unhealthy ppl, I think of the ones that carry oxygen with them everywhere they go. Does a person who only uses C-pap at night (not during the day) count among this knocked-out group?

I've done some googling on "c-pap". It doesn't seem to be an oxygen machine, rather a sort of filtering machine that uses "bedroom air" to keep the airway open when the person is sleeping. I'll call an underwriter tomorrow just to make sure.

Guys, RNA Underwriter told me that this is NOT considered to be "oxygen use". My prospect will Qualify for SIWL - yea.

Last edited:
Guys, RNA Underwriter told me that this is NOT considered to be "oxygen use". My prospect will Qualify will qualify for SIWL - yea.

I did an Oxford app Monday. I explained that her fresh air c-pap was not O2. She said she understood. The PHI person gets to the O2 question and the client goes into this long explanation on her C-pap. I could hear the examiner keep re asking if it was O2. She finally said no. I wanted to shake her! Policy was issued Tuesday.

No, it does not. I also had an applicant who used an oxygen concentrator for apnea. I called underwriting on that one, and it was also ok, as it did not include any bottled oxygen.

I did an Oxford app Monday. I explained that her fresh air c-pap was not O2. She said she understood. The PHI person gets to the O2 question and the client goes into this long explanation on her C-pap. I could hear the examiner keep re asking if it was O2. She finally said no. I wanted to shake her! Policy was issued Tuesday.

Seems like no matter how much you prep the client, they still want to share their life story at the wrong time! Sometimes I wonder why some people share so much with paramed examiners/underwriters.

Clients always seem to want to share more info than needed. Had a client recently complete a life app with Americo, both for the husband and wife. After signing and giving me the check, she looks at him and says "Should I tell him or not....." and he replies, "sure". Turns out she was nervous that they hasn't told me that he was scizophrenic. Not on the app I said, no problem. Good thing there wasn't a phi done there and that was volunteered....haha. Policy was issued as applied for. Thanks Americo!

A standard CPAP is not a problem with any carrier, FE or Med Supp.

Monumental's field guide says of sleep apnea, "sleep apnea is categorized as chronic respiratory disease as is cronic shortness of breath." pg 37

Back