DOI Investigation

xrac,
Just so you know my perspective, I was a lawyer in my former life - technically still am one, I guess. Trust me - bring your lawyer. It shows you take this seriously.

Let me ask you a question: Would you show up for an IRS meeting without a lawyer?*

Here, your livelihood potentially is at stake. Bring a lawyer. Sit there and be quiet. Let your lawyer do the listening (after asking minimal but probative questions).

You need to find out first and foremost what they are accusing you of. This seems most irregular. Agencies tend to put everything in writing. If nothing else, I would take a lawyer (yes, I would bring a lawyer with me) if for no other reason than to tell them that the only reason you are meeting in person is to find out what their concerns are and get those concerns in writing. Any response on my part always will be in writing. Never try to respond to any inquiry blindsided.

Good luck.

*The asterisk is to acknowledge that a CPA or EA can represent you before the IRS; however, only an attorney can represent you on appeal, so why bother with someone whose representative authority is so limited?
------
scagnt83,
By bringing a lawyer the first time, you reduce the possibility of having the issue escalate to the level of needing a lawyer. (You're welcome for the lawyer double-speak.)

You are sharp! I like it.:)

You are sharp! I like it.:)
I like it, too.

The hesitation to bring in a lawyer with you is likely due to a worry that doing so will make you appear guilty, or it's too expensive.

As to the former. I think it is the opposite. It lets them know they better have a damn solid case. As to the latter, depending how big your book of businesses, it's a small price to pay.

I like it, too.

The hesitation to bring in a lawyer with you is likely due to a worry that doing so will make you appear guilty, or it's too expensive.

As to the former. I think it is the opposite. It lets them know they better have a damn solid case. As to the latter, depending how big your book of businesses, it's a small price to pay.

Yep, most people think the first rule of fight club is: Never talk about fight club.

In reality it is never talk to the police (DOI, Judges, police, DA, IRS) without an attorney, its their job to get convictions, you might accidentally say something wrong that was innocent really, then BAM they code you with the "Liar" scarlet letter and the war begins. Best to keep your words in the belly and let your attorney do the talking.

scagnt83,
By bringing a lawyer the first time, you reduce the possibility of having the issue escalate to the level of needing a lawyer. (You're welcome for the lawyer double-speak.)

I get what your saying. I guess most peoples initial reaction is to try and not look guilty. But that is better than loosing your career.

This has happened to me twice already in my short medicare career. Both have been from me knocking on the door of another agent. It's always the other agent that tries to throw you under the bus, rarely the prospect. Luckily my book is 100% med supp. (so far) If they really can't afford the med supp premiums i just refer them to medicare.gov where they can pick a plan and enroll online. I'm sure I'll get a complaint someday from another agent for doing that as well!

Pretty sure this will blow over!

Last edited:
This probably won't give very far but I would be ready to bring legal counsel on board.

screw selling ma. The rules are way too strict and anyone selling is just asking for trouble. Med supps are ok. I bet doi's get 500 agent complaints a month with agents pointing fingers. without proof of somethings I bet 99.9% of cases are shelved as its all finger pointing

Here we go again. As for LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal) do people understand when people have legal questions or legal issues they make contact with a law firm and talk over the situation and then go from there.

If the situation is outside the scope of the membership there are potential discounts available to off set the firm's normal fees. Just consider people are saying contact an Attorney. Those with a LS membership would probably have already called their state law firm rather than come to the board for advice.

Back