Event Locations, incl. chain stores

BrandonPaul

Hey guys! I hope you're doing well. I've gotten a lot of good advice and have had decent returns on targeting low-income housing for DSNP. We've worked those, Special Olympics, and food banks mainly.

What else is out there? I've yet to table or hold an event at the library but that seems like an obvious one. Has anyone had success with their local YMCA? What have you found/what are you doing that it seems like no one else thought to do in order to target either the Medicare population at-large or the DSNP population?

I also wanted to know how well people have fared in trying to get spots in retail locations. I'm with United, so I assume I have better possiblity going with Walgreens and not CVS? I haven't done a retail location at all so any advice on breaking in would be appreciated

Hey guys! I hope you're doing well. I've gotten a lot of good advice and have had decent returns on targeting low-income housing for DSNP. We've worked those, Special Olympics, and food banks mainly.

What else is out there? I've yet to table or hold an event at the library but that seems like an obvious one. Has anyone had success with their local YMCA? What have you found/what are you doing that it seems like no one else thought to do in order to target either the Medicare population at-large or the DSNP population?

I also wanted to know how well people have fared in trying to get spots in retail locations. I'm with United, so I assume I have better possiblity going with Walgreens and not CVS? I haven't done a retail location at all so any advice on breaking in would be appreciated

I asked about this.. the feedback I got is that it was relatively shit outside of AEP.

I don't have any feedback as I don't do it.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) my mentor told me that “any activity generates more activity” and it really stuck with me.

Are you going to get a lot of immediate business sitting at tables? Probably not. What you will get is practice selling yourself and if you make an effort, a bunch of “permission to contact” postcards. Have a good giveaway to draw them to the table. Ask them to complete the postcard and add them to your email list in September. An email is very non threatening and they already get enough mail and phone calls.

Besides, if you aren’t sitting there for a few hours, what else will you be doing with your time?

I would look for something higher traffic than a Walgreens or CVS (just my experience). I have done well in grocery stores. I know people talk a lot of crap about the Walmart agents, but I did that for my first few years and it added nicely to my base. Just make sure you smile and say hi to everybody (I was told I couldn't chase them down and force them to sign up, so that was the next best option).

In my experience, the bigger, non-independent places make you go to corporate which, so far, has been a black hole for me. Any tips on breaking through that? Is it all market manager support?

In my experience, the bigger, non-independent places make you go to corporate which, so far, has been a black hole for me. Any tips on breaking through that? Is it all market manager support?

Most FMOs offer a program at Walmart for AEP. I did very well there, but it is definitely what you make of it. I've mainly done events at smaller, independent places outside of that.

I would look for something higher traffic than a Walgreens or CVS (just my experience). I have done well in grocery stores. I know people talk a lot of crap about the Walmart agents, but I did that for my first few years and it added nicely to my base. Just make sure you smile and say hi to everybody (I was told I couldn't chase them down and force them to sign up, so that was the next best option).

Just paid the $1500 for my first Walmart this morn. Looking forward to it. No way it can't pay for itself and be a very good opportunity for 2nd AEP 2023. Yep, that price tag is higher now, but I'm happy to pay it. It'll pay for itself and then some.

If you figure this out let me know...lol. Just kidding, I doubt I'd bother with it again.

Full disclosure: I wasted too much time working on a Dollar General. Got my request all the way up the food chain to the right person then all my paperwork, requests, and credentials that the district manager sent just sat there on their desk. Started that at the ground level, asst mgr, mgr, district manager, and up. District manager was all for it, but the powers that be above her never made it happen. They have to see the value, and they must not have... and Too many gatekeepers, I should've known better.

Never would have even tried that, but it was encouraged by the FMO. I thought, ok, can't be that hard...well not a chance. At least not for me.

DSNP, whole other story. If I were still in my 30s and needed money, it'd be great but I'm not and I don't, so I won't. FMO also touts food banks etc. I won't pass it up, but not looking. Have a few lined up for very near future.

I had better luck with the local VFW (the only events I did for 1st AEP and did three of those), even though Humana was already there. In my area, Humana "canvases" the low-income housing, VFWs, etc. Humana (a career agent) was already in the one I wanted in. That's ok...Im good with Humana. I got lucky with that...ended up doing 3 events and that was decent, and it's still giving back to me. I'm the only agent in there now. still building that relationship. So far, so good. I've heard VFWs are hard to get into. That wasn't my experience. That was the first one I walked into and I was invited right back. Maybe it was luck. IDK. The hardest part was catching the main guy there, once I figured that out, it was easy.

Just paid the $1500 for my first Walmart this morn. Looking forward to it. No way it can't pay for itself and be a very good opportunity for 2nd AEP 2023. Yep, that price tag is higher now, but I'm happy to pay it. It'll pay for itself and then some.

Some FMOs will cover all or part of the cost.

Back