Exchange Could Have a Software Design Issue

Depending on how long this goes, expect to see lawsuits filed. Imagine trying to renew your license but the DMV's system is down - for weeks. Now your license is expired and you can't drive.

To me this is rather clear. This is a law people have to comply with. That people cannot sign up should void that law at least temporarily.

You have a funny way of deluding yourself.

The government will perform whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to defend their position. Want proof, start with the shutdown. Money cannot be spent except with appropriation by Congress. So why are "essential" employees still working? Sure, they aren't be paid now, but they are going to be paid once a bill is passed. Therefore money was spent without prior approval.

And by essential, I don't mean Congress, the President and others with Constitutional offices. I'm talking about all those cops who chased down the woman yesterday, air traffic controllers, etc.

Called the marketplace @ the # listed...
The explanation of why the site has been down was because insurer's are still downloading or uploading their rates and plans into the system. :twitchy:

I'm like whatever......

You've hit the nail on the head. These are delay tactics. Since when do you "wait, so you don't lose your place in line" for a webpage? That's not how webpages work. The truth is that many of the products and rates are not yet approved by State DOI's, and therefore are not allowed to be shown to clients. That is why agents can't get even a copy of them yet. The carriers were telling us last week that CMS won't even return their phone calls about connecting to the exchange. That's also what Quotit, Norvax & E-health reported. They can't connect, and CMS wasn't even working on the connection. Let's get real. The exchange doesn't have the products and rates uploaded, nor the connection to the insurance companies completed. "Please wait in line" is a public relations diversion from announcing the underlying issues. I'm surprised a reporter hasn't dug into this more. They would probably find out the Exchange is also working on serious security flaws. This is Senator Max Baucus's train wreck.

The design of the whole system is obviously all wrong.

First of all, you shouldn't have to create an account to get a list of rates and plans, that's the same as going to one of the landing pages that sells leads to agents. Creating a quote engine for all of the plans in the area is a simple task, integrating it into a turn key system for quotes, subsidy determination, and application submission is far more complex.

Second of all, you shouldn't have to go to CMS to get a subsidy determination before enrolling, you should be able to do this on an insurance carrier website and then, when the application is submitted, send it to CMS for approval, the same way Medicare Advantage and PDP applications are processed.

It could have been as simple as visit Healthcare.gov, search for plans and rates and amount of subsidy (none of this needs to be personalized or stored) and then link to the insurance company website where you go through the application process.

At the end, CMS reviews and approves the application and transmits that back to the insurance company.

None of this would have taken brain surgery or required a rocket scientist, instead they've created a disaster in the making.

The design of the whole system is obviously all wrong.

First of all, you shouldn't have to create an account to get a list of rates and plans, that's the same as going to one of the landing pages that sells leads to agents. Creating a quote engine for all of the plans in the area is a simple task, integrating it into a turn key system for quotes, subsidy determination, and application submission is far more complex.

Second of all, you shouldn't have to go to CMS to get a subsidy determination before enrolling, you should be able to do this on an insurance carrier website and then, when the application is submitted, send it to CMS for approval, the same way Medicare Advantage and PDP applications are processed.

It could have been as simple as visit Healthcare.gov, search for plans and rates and amount of subsidy (none of this needs to be personalized or stored) and then link to the insurance company website where you go through the application process.

At the end, CMS reviews and approves the application and transmits that back to the insurance company.

None of this would have taken brain surgery or required a rocket scientist, instead they've created a disaster in the making.

I absolutely agree.

Here in AZ we have a premium credit available to new groups. You fill out a 1 page paper app (super simple), send it to the State, get a "certificate" back within days, send that to the insurance company along with the app. Done. The insurance company bills for the net, and gets reimbursed on their corporate state tax return. Easy Peasy. Never had a problem, in years of doing this. I can call Darlene down at the state office and get a common sense answer to any and all questions. No waits, no unreturned phone calls.

If they would have done this, or just did an expanded Medicaid + a PCIP high risk pool, we wouldn't have needed a system the size of a pregnant elephant.

If they insist on having an exchange to take over an insurance agent's job, then it should work like Quotit, Norvax or E-Health. Who thought of the brilliant idea of making people "apply" before they can even begin shopping?

Here is a link to a good article about underlying design problems for the exchange. There's a quote near the end from our dear friend Mr. Value Penguin himself.

Analysis: IT experts question architecture of Obamacare website | Reuters

It would seem that HHS is taking the I.T. experts seriously enough to conduct unplanned maintenance this weekend. GOP is not missing this opportunity to capitalize on the flaws...

Story: GOP slams scheduled maintenance on ObamaCare site - The Hill's Healthwatch

-ac

Back