Excluded Driver

massaman99

I have a question for you regarding auto insurance. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Long story short, back in 2014 my son had a seizure - the paramedics were called and it was reported to the DMV - he was around 18 years old. He never had a DL or drove.

Approx. two years ago He was finally cleared by the DMV to drive, so he obtained his permit then his DL

I tried to add him to my Mercury policy but they wouldn't allow me to because his record comes out as "suspended" so he is excluded from my policy.

We've gone to the DMV, we've got a letter stating his record is clear but on the insurance side it still comes up as suspended.

So my son had to get his own insurance policy so he can drive our second vehicle.

Here's my dilemma, Me and wife are excluded from driving the second vehicle because my son has his own insurance and we are excluded on his policy.

So in a sense we don't have a second vehicle because my wife and I can't drive it.

Is it an option (and legal) to have two auto insurance policies on the Honda (second vehicle)?

So my questions is, if we have two policies (Adriannas (sons) and Mercury ) would we be able to drive the Honda (second vehicle)?

If something happens when my son is driving will he be able to file a claim with his insurance?

And vice versa, if my wife or I are driving the Honda and something happens would we be able to file a claim with Mercury and still be covered if either or instance happens?

Let me know your thoughts

Who is the registered owner of the vehicle? If it is you, your son cannot insure property he does not own. If you have transferred the title to him, he can add you as a household driver on the vehicle.
I would be having a chat with Mercury about their decision.

Here's a very important question that requires you to READ the policies.

You use the word "excluded."

Do the policies have a piece of paper (called an endorsement) attached to the policies that say, in print, that Mr and Mrs So and So, by name, are excluded from Sonny Boy's policy and/or Sonny Boy, by name, is excluded from Mr and Mrs So and So's policy.

If yes, how did those exclusions come about? Did the Named Insured agree to them and sign them?

Here is one sample of a Named Driver Exclusion. Does anything like that appear in either policy?

Microsoft Word - CA SUMMIT NAMED USER EXCLUSION FINAL.doc (clearsidegeneral.com)

He was 18 in 2014 which would make him 27 now. Why was seizure reported to DMV? he did not have a license or drove, so I'm assuming his seizure did not take place on a roadway.
Still don't have an answer to who owns the car. No answer to who has the registration. I did not ask, but does he live at home?
Without this info it is not possible to give much advice

He was 18 in 2014 which would make him 27 now. Why was seizure reported to DMV? he did not have a license or drove, so I'm assuming his seizure did not take place on a roadway.
Still don't have an answer to who owns the car. No answer to who has the registration. I did not ask, but does he live at home?
Without this info it is not possible to give much advice

Hi, yes he's 27 now. Yes the seizure was reported to the DMV. Correct, the incident didn't happen on the roadway. I own the car and the car is under my name and yes he lives at home.

Mercury UW is brutal, however they are open to conversations. Very old school there in that the underwrite every policy and make decisions by a human. Have your agent speak to them.

Question to all: Why was the son's seizure reported to the DMV years before he was ever licensed? I've never heard of that. Is that common?

Back