Exit strategy from the ER grind -- building a book of business

neophytelifeagent

Hello everyone,

I'm a new life/health agent that was recruited into a WFG agency in my local area. While conceptually it was everything that I'm looking for, (building a business) I realized very quickly that my value to the group is mainly to fill the pipeline with prospective clients and associates. Just like a typical pyramid, only one that didn't require me to buy a closet full of their products. Much of the "training" focuses on getting me to flog my warm market, essentially -- then start opening random people on the street. Not exactly what I'm looking to do at this stage of the game -- licensed almost three months, and itching to actually learn the ropes of the business (SELL INSURANCE!)

I'm not a captive agent so I got appointed with The Alliance's 5 main carriers that specialize in mortgage protection/final expense products. Was denied appointment with their biggest company, Forester's -- but looking at the roster, most of their carriers don't offer living benefits in CA. Makes it harder to sell a term policy for mortgage protection if they can't access the benefit before death -- so this may not matter, as long as I can find other companies (Transamerica looks good) with term/lb products.

WFG wants me to create the leads, the Alliance will provide me with or sell me the leads (most of them are mailers sent in by new mortgage holders) -- but given what's going on right now in my state (California) -- in home presentations are unlikely to happen, at least for awhile. I can modify the presentation for zoom, or even just do a simplified Q&A over the phone to obtain the necessary info and run some quotes.

An intriguing possibility has also been to go for AHIP certification and start selling MA and Medicare Supplemental policies. It's more of a natural fit (given that I've been in healthcare so long) -- and is something that people almost certainly HAVE to buy, as opposed to a life policy they may see as optional. My newest strategy is so request appointment to different carriers that sell Medicare (NAA or The Alliance just got into this game) and start doing some dials and phone/zoom appointments with those. Eventually I would like to be selling IUL's and other products that require more advanced training/certification, but right now I just want to get my feet wet.

What do you all think? I know WFG is a huge player but at the associate level, I'm not getting much of what I'm looking for from them. Any thoughts on The Alliance?

Adam

Hello everyone,

I'm a new life/health agent that was recruited into a WFG agency in my local area. While conceptually it was everything that I'm looking for, (building a business) I realized very quickly that my value to the group is mainly to fill the pipeline with prospective clients and associates. Just like a typical pyramid, only one that didn't require me to buy a closet full of their products. Much of the "training" focuses on getting me to flog my warm market, essentially -- then start opening random people on the street. Not exactly what I'm looking to do at this stage of the game -- licensed almost three months, and itching to actually learn the ropes of the business (SELL INSURANCE!)

I'm not a captive agent so I got appointed with The Alliance's 5 main carriers that specialize in mortgage protection/final expense products. Was denied appointment with their biggest company, Forester's -- but looking at the roster, most of their carriers don't offer living benefits in CA. Makes it harder to sell a term policy for mortgage protection if they can't access the benefit before death -- so this may not matter, as long as I can find other companies (Transamerica looks good) with term/lb products.

WFG wants me to create the leads, the Alliance will provide me with or sell me the leads (most of them are mailers sent in by new mortgage holders) -- but given what's going on right now in my state (California) -- in home presentations are unlikely to happen, at least for awhile. I can modify the presentation for zoom, or even just do a simplified Q&A over the phone to obtain the necessary info and run some quotes.

An intriguing possibility has also been to go for AHIP certification and start selling MA and Medicare Supplemental policies. It's more of a natural fit (given that I've been in healthcare so long) -- and is something that people almost certainly HAVE to buy, as opposed to a life policy they may see as optional. My newest strategy is so request appointment to different carriers that sell Medicare (NAA or The Alliance just got into this game) and start doing some dials and phone/zoom appointments with those. Eventually I would like to be selling IUL's and other products that require more advanced training/certification, but right now I just want to get my feet wet.

What do you all think? I know WFG is a huge player but at the associate level, I'm not getting much of what I'm looking for from them. Any thoughts on The Alliance?

Adam

Get away from those MLM type agencies. If you want to make a living selling insurance choose a path, get the higher commission levels and buy leads weekly. If you want to do it with Final Expense face to face and cross sell the Medicare (much better than mortgage protection) then I of course recommend FexContracting (I own it).

If you would prefer selling totally over the phone there is no better than Digital BGA.

If you just really want to focus on mortgage term I would check out Todd King.

But any pyramid recruiting agency is sub-standard for the agent that actually wants to sell insurance.

There was 1 situation I was hesitant to advise the agent to leave . I know Ail is awful for the agent .She got into a comfort level of selling over zoom to union members . She gets free leads and is able to get 15-20 appts a week . I know the leads a scam the way they sell . She’s at about 65% . The problem is the only mkt she can do with zoom is the mortgage protection mkt . Overall most fe clients won’t do zoom and she can’t afford $600 a week for leads . I don’t think she has the mettle to door knock and go in nasty homes . I know ail is no long term career .

Get away from those MLM type agencies. If you want to make a living selling insurance choose a path, get the higher commission levels and buy leads weekly. If you want to do it with Final Expense face to face and cross sell the Medicare (much better than mortgage protection) then I of course recommend FexContracting (I own it).

If you would prefer selling totally over the phone there is no better than Digital BGA.

If you just really want to focus on mortgage term I would check out Todd King.

But any pyramid recruiting agency is sub-standard for the agent that actually wants to sell insurance.

Thanks for the food for thought. For now I'm at 85 percent with the Alliance, with leads getting fed to me by my upline. Leveling up gets me higher percentages if I buy the leads myself. Going to grind through the stack and re evaluate based on results. I'll look into those companies mentioned.

WFG is a scam company that is nothing more than a MLM scheme. An extremely small percentage of their agents go on to lead successful insurance careers.... away from WFG.

They are not representative of how this industry works. At all. You are not learning about the industry from a factual standpoint while working with them.

You are getting paid a fraction of what you should be. You are selling crap products compared with what you could be. The leads they provide are crap compared to what you can buy from 3rd party vendors. New agents should NEVER be pushed to recruit... thats not an agents job... pushing new agents to recruit is a HUGE red flag in this industry... it does not happen at real life agencies... they focus on production, not recruitment.

200% agree .Ail MAKES the agents recruit . They charge them $160 a month for this luxury so they take all the chargebacks on the 90% that don’t make it . The one that does make it the up line steals them when the recruiting agent leaves hit with tons of chargebacks.Why this happens most agents are not capitalized to buy their own leads those they get taken advantage of

Um, thanks, but we're not normally known for that. We do have the companies for that though...lol.

The senior market is what we do best though.

Sorry. I was thinking you had a group doing that.

Todd is good for FE too. But I’m biased to my own agency for that one.

Back